Thread: Christen drill grinder model 05-8

Default Christen drill grinder model 05-8

Hi boys 'n girls, I purchase a Christen drill grinder some time ago and have been ib the process of re-building it, now I have a problem !

Spare parts are eye waveringly expensive and the drill stop is damaged through misuse so I am making a new one but the business end where the drill rests is on the original messed up and hernia lies the problem ! So I am wondering if anyone has one of these machines in good order and will offer advice or post or send me a photo of the stop on their machine.

The one I have made in the photo here has a sharp point and my thoughts are it needs the point removing to make a small flat ?? my logic dictates this ?? am I correct, how big a flat etc ?

Thanks in advance John

Hmm Thought the link would show a photo -- anyone know how to post a pic from your album ? Ha! figured it out
    Last edited by redgrouse; 09-12-2019 at 01:51 PM. Reason: insert photo
    Knowledge withheld is knowledge lost

Looking at page 14 of the manual ( http://www.christendrillgrinder.com/manualNov2009.pdf ) it looks like the stop (part 15a) has two or more facets.

I see lots of youtube videos online that may have a closeup of the stop. I did not bother to watch any.

Dan
    At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

I can probably help out....might take a day or two until I get at the grinder....don't hesitate to bug me if I forget lol

Hi Dan, thanks I already have the manual but the picture of the drill stop in there shows the reverse side hence the additional facets, the component is actually hexagonal. I have looked a lots of online stuff but nothing I have seen shows stop close up.
    John

Here is a pic of the reverse side

Mcgyver, thank for the response it will be a great help, as a matter of interest the machine I have was made for the Canadian market and is 110v so running of a transformer, somehow it crossed the pond again !

This what you're after?

Mcgiver, thanks and yes thats exactly what I needed to confirm, logic said a flat on the end but I had nothing to compare to or a drawing.
    It probably is not critical but if you can measure the long side of the flat on the tip that you can see in photo 2 & the last pic and let me know I will be grateful, it looks to be around 0.080" at a guess. Also is the flat at right angles to the rear or outside part of the hexagon flats -- it does look to be so

Regards John

you've got a good eye....with loupe and caliper I get .070" Its not perpendicular to the hex, will get a photo up shortly

bloody thing popped out as I was measuring - its spring loaded, I guess something latches into the prong at the bottom? Hints on how to get it back together?

Hi , thanks for the info, easiest way to get it back is remove the spring tongs that hold the drills this allows you more room for fingers ! then insert the drill stop and hold it back, push in the tongs and refit the knurled adjusting nut. It is also possible to remove the whole centre unit, its self locating for orientation on a dowel and to remove just loosen the grub screw in the from of the main body and it pushes upwards with a light tap on the bottom - no need to remove the tongs either.