Thread: Need help identifying a taper

Default Need help identifying a taper

I bought some mystery 5c drawbar parts at NAMES a few years ago. After finishing the 5c drawbar on my Clausing 5914, I have this 5c adapter left over. It appears to be close to a 6MT but the larger end would slip deep in to a 6MT spindle. Any guesses as to what lathe this might fit? There is bound to be someone who is looking for it and I can add a few dollars to my tooling fund.

Sent from my 5049W using Tapatalk

Knowing ALL the dimensions would help. Length, major dia., minor diam. and the inside taper if you know what
    it is. I suspect it's an adapter for a lathe spindle. A lot of those have a morse taper both inside and out but it
    could be a proprietary taper on the OD. You say it's close to a MT 6; there's a possibility it's a short section of
    same...
    Keith

Giving your dimensions, I would say that the taper is proprietary, as it doesn't match any of the common tapers, ie, Morse, Jacobs, Jarno, Jacobs or Brown and Sharpe. Your taper per foot (0.596") is close to a Jarno 0.600 in/ft, or a Morse #2 0.5994 in/ft, but the outside dims don't jibe.

Its not unknown for lathe manufacturers to make the taper in the spindle nose an odd ball to suit whatever they've bored the spindle to
    5 1/2 MT is quite common for a number of makers.
    'It may not always be the best policy to do what is best technically, but those responsible for policy can never form a right judgement without knowledge of what is right technically' - 'Dutch' Kindelberger

From the measurements shown, the taper on diameter appears to be 0.0497"/inch which is very close to Jarno's 0.050"/inch and a bit less than Morse taper's ~0.052"/inch for that size range. My guess is that it's a sawn-off Jarno #19 spindle adapter.
    Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
    Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
    Monarch 10EE 1942

Inside taper is 5c

Quote Originally Posted by LKeithR View Post
    Knowing ALL the dimensions would help. Length, major dia., minor diam. and the inside taper if you know what
    it is. I suspect it's an adapter for a lathe spindle. A lot of those have a morse taper both inside and out but it
    could be a proprietary taper on the OD. You say it's close to a MT 6; there's a possibility it's a short section of
    same...

Thank you for your reply. If I understand your response - nothing on the adapter looks modified, all surfaces are uniformly ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter. View Post
    From the measurements shown, the taper on diameter appears to be 0.0497"/inch which is very close to Jarno's 0.050"/inch and a bit less than Morse taper's ~0.052"/inch for that size range. My guess is that it's a sawn-off Jarno #19 spindle adapter.

I'll still stick to it being a 5 1/2 MT spindle adapter.
    'It may not always be the best policy to do what is best technically, but those responsible for policy can never form a right judgement without knowledge of what is right technically' - 'Dutch' Kindelberger

Quote Originally Posted by aribert View Post
    Thank you for your reply. If I understand your response - nothing on the adapter looks modified, all surfaces are uniformly ground.
    Sorry, I didn't mean that it was literally sawn-off, I meant that it was a shortened version of Jarno #19. Most if not all spindle adapters are shorter than the standard taper.
    Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
    Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
    Monarch 10EE 1942