Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electrolysis Galvanize and de-rusting

Default Electrolysis Galvanize and de-rusting

Since you can de-rust with a home battery charger and washing soda, does it hold true that you could:

reverse the leads and use zinc as the sacrificial, and galvanize the same part you previously de-rusted?

You can do zinc plating that way, but if I remember correctly, true galvanizing is a different process. If you google "DIY zinc plating" or similar there is a lot of info. I tried it once and the zinc was very dull, no sheen, but it looked much better after I polished it a bit.

Edit to add: There is a lot of discussion about "brighteners" for the plating solution to get a better appearance. I did not spend time trying these as I was not concerned about the appearance so much. DIY nickel plating is also possible. Just be careful about disposing the plating solutions.
    Last edited by Galaxie; 09-14-2019 at 01:01 PM.

I'm only interested in rust prevention as on a anchor chain.
    Salt water boat anchor application.

Electroplated zinc is not good for a salt water application. Pay up and get hot-dipped galvanized chain if you want it to last. The zinc coating is many times thicker than that on any electroplated chain.

RWO

if you want it to last??
    last how long?
    5 years? 20 years? 50 years?
    or, will it just melt like bare steel?

Most likely "days". Or less!
    Galvanized is typically hot dipped, not plated. For this reason the zinc is 10-50 times thicker than plated zinc.

The zinc plating process takes a HUGE amount of current compared to other metals. That's one of the reasons for zinc galvanizing instead of plating.

yep... in salt water even "days is optimistic.

Even in freshwater. My lake is ph 5.5 or so and plating on chain lasts a few months. Hot dip Galvanized 10 years, but the galv is way gone long before then - that's when the chain breaks

I use 2 inch galv water pipe for dock supports - Galv is gone in 5 years. Best protection I found was to acid etch then coat it with marine steel boat "below water line" urethane paint ; I have some going on 20 years that's in pretty good shape.

do you mean zinc plating is no better than cad plating?

Quote Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
    do you mean zinc plating is no better than cad plating?
    Basically thats the truth. You buy a grade 8 bolt that looks a bit yellow or gold, thats zinc plating. If I had the time and money, I would lay down a base coat of heavy copper, then go over that with a coat of nickel. Either way, you're gonna spend. Better off to just get it hot dipped.

Well aw krap,
    I discarded some metal at the dump today, and spotted a piece of heavy chain that would make a very nice anchor chain for my boat, thick heavy chain, correct length, with attach ring on it.
    Except, it was bare steel rusted.
    Its cooking right now electrolysis derusting,
    I'll see what becomes of it.