Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: OT: New hobby...tree climbing.

Nah! He has a neighbor lady who sunbathes al-a-natural.

Quote Originally Posted by Tungsten dipper View Post
    So are you learning this to trim trees?
    Paul A.

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Quote Originally Posted by winchman View Post
    I'm six months into my new hobby of climbing trees, and it's time to share some pictures. This is what the neighbor's property and the ground look like from fifty-six feet up.
    What, the neighbors didn't think you odd enough already?

Quote Originally Posted by winchman View Post
    I worry about something happening that keeps me from being able to get down more than I do about falling.
    Bring a cell phone. I can assure you that the local FD will very much enjoy responding to the call. There is pretty much never any opportunity to practice rope rescues, but there is a whole lot of desire to do so. 'Course, they would logically just call in a ladder truck and take all the fun out of it.

About 5 years ago I climbed maybe 30' up a line using nothing but rope, just to verify that I could. Well, 3 pieces of rope - one used as a swiss seat (I have a harness, but that wasn't the point), one as a prusik, and the one that was climbed. For the curious: all you do is bring the rope up, form a loop for your foot and squeeze the ropes together with your hand, put your foot in and lift yourself up, slide the prusik up, rinse and repeat. It gets tiring fast though.

About 3/4 of the way up (1,500'/2k), can't safety off when inspecting:

I have been doing some tree cutting around the house and for the neighbors. Here's two of the five trees I cut for the people on the corner in the first picture. They're ready for the city crew to pick up. The trees had disease-damaged places that made them iffy. They ranged from 24 to 30 inches in diameter at the base and from 70 to 85 feet tall. I cut some of the stumps lower after the picture was taken.

I used a Kobalt 18" 80V brushless electric chainsaw from Lowe's. Yeah, I plead guilty to chainsaw abuse.
    Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Are you ready to try from one tree to the next, 40 feet up.. ?

it easier to cut the trees at knee level, then if you need to wedge, you can swing the axe hard with ease.
    Of course, cutting all the limbs off on the side you don't want it to go to, is even better.
    no butt rot in the trees in the pic.. not common in those anyway.
    Last edited by 754; 09-15-2019 at 06:31 PM.

Anybody ever "skin the cat?" Who knows what it is? Not the obivious answer.
    mark costello-Low speed steel

I haven't tried any limb-walking or traverses (tree-to-tree) yet. I'm still trying to get comfortable using tools while hanging on a rope. Sunday morning I got a line around a limb in a big pine next to the house, and climbed up about forty feet to cut some branches from a nearby oak tree. That involved pushing off from the pine to grab the oak limbs, and then holding on while cutting the unwanted parts off.

The Big Shot slingshot I use for getting a throw-weight and line up in a tree has been really handy. Once up in the tree, I can use a fifteen-foot telescopic aluminum pole to get a line over a limb that's higher or in a better place. There's lots of options once I get a throw-line up in the tree. Figuring out how to get where I want to be in the tree, and then doing it is a lot of fun. Things always look different once I'm up in the tree, so having a flexible plan is important.

You just described my type of arborism,,, I have a 30ft pole and a chain saw rope, my feet never leave the ground...

Originally Posted by RichR
    I see you layed out a nice soft tarp to catch you as a precaution.

Its more like a bulls eye.
    Or to bag the remains.

Tom