Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is this odd taper for?

Default What is this odd taper for?

A 5C collet adapter and some taper adapter yard sale crap I picked up. 2 inch, 1 1/2" at the small end, 1 5/8" at the large end, which gives it a taper per foot of 3/4". I'm kind of like a dog with a bone with these things. Could not find any matching tapers used by anyone. Anyone seen this before?

looks like the sort of kit you get with tool and cutter grinders.

It is very close to the proprietary taper of a South Bend Heavy 10L headstock.

or for a Leblond collet closer.

I don't know what it is, but in the second photo it looks like a parting line near where the taper meets the flange. Is it threaded or pressed on, or is that an illusion?

It looks like they might fit my Sheldon. Let me know if you would like to part with them.

Best Regards,
    Bob
    Last edited by rjs44032; 09-17-2019 at 10:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rjs44032 View Post
    It looks like they might fit my Sheldon. Let me know if you would like to part with them.

Best Regards,
    Bob
    If you can use them, you can have them, for free. Just let me know where to send them.

I came across a 1 in 16 taper recently, it is a S.A.E. spec. for propellor shafts up to 5 1/2" diameter . 3/4" to the foot is 1 in 16.

However, the taper is normally found on the inside of a prop or coupling and on the outside of the shafting...not sure how those bushes would work, unless they are tapered inside as well.

The inside of the bushes are MT2 on one, MT3 on the other two, and then 5C on the fourth, so they must be for a machining tool of some kind. The outside are all the same 1 in 16 taper.

Quote Originally Posted by junkaddict View Post
    If you can use them, you can have them, for free. Just let me know where to send them.
    junkaddict, I just noticed that you figured these at 3/4" per foot. That looks close at first glance to mine, but is not correct for Sheldon. So I don't want to take these if someone else could use them. Please disregard my first PM. Thanks anyway for the generous offer.

By the way that is real close to an American Standard taper which is 3/4" per foot. Not sure what it fits though.

Best Regards,
    Bob
    Last edited by rjs44032; 09-18-2019 at 05:19 PM.