Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OT: Pressure washer recommendations

Question OT: Pressure washer recommendations

I've been thinking about getting a pressure washer to help with cleaning the wood siding on my house, in preparation for painting. We have been using an ordinary hose and nozzle to remove mildew and loose paint. The wood siding (probably Cypress) is still in mostly good shape, and it would probably look good to strip off all the paint, but that's too much work.

So I looked on Craig;s List and found a Husky H1600 pressure washer for $35. It seems like a good deal, but it's discontinued and parts are mostly unavailable. However it seems to be a good unit and used ones are on eBay for about $180. I guess I can't go too far wrong for $35 (or maybe I'll offer $30).

https://baltimore.craigslist.org/tls...968744735.html

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Husky-1750-...49c6a&LH_BIN=1

Probably not the same model.

Anyway, I've never used a power washer and I think it could be handy for cleaning the siding as well as brick and stone, and the deck, and the car and truck. Harbor Freight has one for $80.

https://www.harborfreight.com/1750-P...fQ%3D%3D%0D%0A
    Last edited by PStechPaul; 09-17-2019 at 02:55 AM. Reason: video

I'd look into, at least, 2,000-3,000psi gas engine units with closer to 3GPM (gal per min) or higher output.

Those electric ones are toys good for small tasks like car and patio furniture washing, etc.

Although you don't need much pressure for siding, you do need higher GPM rate. Power washers with higher GPM come with higher pressure.

Choose a nozzle and distance so that you don't damage the wood.
    Last edited by MichaelP; 09-17-2019 at 03:11 AM.

Based on the ad, make sure you know where to buy a new pump for the washer.

Sounds good. I hope you'll be able to buy other nozzle sizes.

An even better deal, perhaps, is this one for $75. 2100 PSI, 2 GPM, 6 HP. And only a few miles from me!

https://baltimore.craigslist.org/tls...969405721.html

https://www.allpartsinc.com/pressure...wgv2121-1.html
    Last edited by PStechPaul; 09-17-2019 at 03:40 AM.

Every electric washer ive used has been universally garbage, the pressure is just always too low to do anything useful with. At absolute best i suppose they could be used to clean a car, but if you want to get things clean and not just wet, you need more oomph than the electrics can seem to provide. Adding to that, running an extension cord to power the things it a PITA, youll need a heavy gauge extension cord for anything longer than a few feet, theres never an outlet close by, electricity and water dont generally mix so the reliability has always been low for me, etc. My view, dont waste the money on the electric one, youll just end up hating it. Take the money and spend it on one of the gas units the others are pointing you to. Even a low-end gas washer will likely perform better than any electric.

As a bit of background, i work maintenance and groundskeeping, and every year at the start of the summer season i spend a few months doing nothing but power washing it seems. My most recent job had me power washing a 150ft stretch of sidewalk. With an electric washer this was a 4+ hour job, babying the thing along, trying to get enough power out of the nozzle to actually clean anything, running extension cords, wrangling cords and hoses, and just keeping the dang machine working. Electric one died under suspicious circumstances, boss went out and got a mid-low end gas washer. Extra pressure at the nozzle lets me run one of those spinny surface cleaning attachments, turns the 4+ hour job into a 45 minute job, and gets the concrete clean to boot, instead of just wet. Electrics great for a lot of things, but this aint one

I bought a $15 Karcher electric about 12 years ago. It has worked fine for me. Might be blind luck, don't know. I have cleaned many machines and big parts with it.

I have a buddy who rebuilds PWs. He scorns my little POS and tells me I need one with a big Honda motor and rebuilt CAT pump. I will follow his advice just as soon as mine dies.

metalmagpie

I would say for your purpose the 3000 psi unit is best as long as the wood wow in good shape you can probably use a 20 degree tip be careful I've seen homeowners try to prep for paint with to small a top and cut up their wood for other stuff like concrete etc you can use a 0 degree turbo tip which is basically a 0 degree tip that spins really fast I myself have a huge unit I use stripping paint off cinder block etc that's 13 hp and very expensive if you find you need that much power renting one is probably the best bet but for what you're doing and most home stuff a 3000 psi unit should do well even with that size a 0 degree tip can do some damage so be careful and don't **** around I've seen a guy with a 0 degree tip wearing sneakers accidentally go across his foot and cut his shoe open and partially cut his foot I would powerwash then use a soaper set up and wash everything down with a homewash fungal solution then powerwash again with just water then let dry