Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shop Furnace Help.

Quote Originally Posted by deltap View Post
    The newer furnaces will have an exhaust inducer and can be vented out sidewall saving roof penetration.
    That's a really good point and could also be a game changer,,,

When it comes to personal use heaters I do not go by age i go by condition,,, you can effectively inspect the heat exchangers and in most cases do it "inside and out" so to be sure

there's many an old exchanger that will look almost new with no problems,,,

but - the efficiency ratings of the newer units can be reason enough to go that route esp. if you think you will be using the unit allot...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Stewart View Post
    It's carbon monoxide (CO) you should be concerned about. CO2 is not poisonous.

-js
    Your right, CO.

JL.............

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Stewart View Post
    It's carbon monoxide (CO) you should be concerned about. CO2 is not poisonous.

-js
    It is if you're in a low area and it displaces the O2 where you are... it's just not as poisonous in low concentrations as CO.

Given the efficiency gains for new natural-gas fired heaters, I'd go with a new unit. When my new shop is done, there will be a new NG-fired heater in the shop. The coal furnace will be left in the old shop. Coal is cheap, but it takes lots of time and attention to make it work correctly.

BTW, if you've moved to South Dakota from somewhere warmer, you might want to re-size your expectations for how many BTU's you need. South and North Dakota get so cold and so windy, that people from Wyoming consider them places to avoid in the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by wyop View Post
    Given the efficiency gains for new natural-gas fired heaters, I'd go with a new unit. When my new shop is done, there will be a new NG-fired heater in the shop. The coal furnace will be left in the old shop. Coal is cheap, but it takes lots of time and attention to make it work correctly.

BTW, if you've moved to South Dakota from somewhere warmer, you might want to re-size your expectations for how many BTU's you need. South and North Dakota get so cold and so windy, that people from Wyoming consider them places to avoid in the winter.
    Windy here??? You should talk!
    Hereís a pic of the of the official Wyoming Wind Sock ( taken in front of the National Weather Office in Cheyenne)
    BTW... itís colder and windier in Laramie than here in Spearfish!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, it was my mistake. I have to take full credit for it. Been watching too many "Global Warming" videos on YouTube.

But that brings up another thought: if combustion produces CO, what is the big deal with CO2 emissions? I guess it must produce both. I am not trying to turn this into a political discussion, just curious about the science behind the combustion process.

Quote Originally Posted by Corbettprime View Post
    Maybe autocorrect changed CO to CO2?
    Paul A.

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

That's just gotta be a plastic chain. And the meteorologist has a good sense of humor.

Quote Originally Posted by Tungsten dipper View Post
    Windy here??? You should talk!
    Here’s a pic of the of the official Wyoming Wind Sock ( taken in front of the National Weather Office in Cheyenne)
    BTW... it’s colder and windier in Laramie than here in Spearfish!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Paul A.

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
    No, it was my mistake. I have to take full credit for it. Been watching too many "Global Warming" videos on YouTube.

But that brings up another thought: if combustion produces CO, what is the big deal with CO2 emissions? I guess it must produce both. I am not trying to turn this into a political discussion, just curious about the science behind the combustion process.
    Incomplete combustion produces CO (as well as CO2). The CO is lethal, CO2 isn't except when it's so much of the air that you don't get enough oxygen. Complete combustion doesn't generate CO, just CO2 and water. So a gas furnace that's perfectly adjusted could be vented into the living area - like a typical gas kitchen range.

There's always some CO2 in the atmosphere, the problem is that it tends to not let heat radiate into space if there's too much. That's the greenhouse effect.

I hope we can keep this non-political. Yeah, right. :-)

-js
    Last edited by Jim Stewart; 09-19-2019 at 06:01 PM.
    There are no stupid questions. But there are lots of stupid answers. This is the internet.

That's just gotta be a plastic chain. And the meteorologist has a good sense of humor.
    I can believe it. I drove all the way across Minnesota and South Dakota with ~10 degrees of left steering angle to go straight. Stopping at the rest stop involved walking in a chain holding hands across the car park and then getting flattened against the building. We also spent 10 minutes watching a sparrow flap its wings out to stay stationary in one spot, then give up and disappear in an instant (0-40 in a couple of seconds?). It's pretty windy up there.

Paul - links are welded together, lot's of people think it's cute to build mailbox posts with them too lol