Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OT: the stuff Amazon has in stock.....

Default OT: the stuff Amazon has in stock.....

I needed a small rubber grommet To fix the humidity control system of our refrigerator. The problem is common and easily diagnosed and fixed by youtube videos. So I go to my local appliance parts house (been there a few times), out of business. Check a couple others in town, also out of business. There's a large nationwide parts outfit with a local store, but they were out of the part. Wife suggested Amazon. Sure enough, they had the part and since there're two varieties they have both types packed together for a couple bucks.

That was impressive.......

More impressive yet.....my 20+ year old Echo hedge trimmer needs a new gas filter assembly. Go online to find the needed parts, they're readily available. Just for fun I checked Amazon. There's all the parts I need, gaskets, rubber bushing, etc, etc all packaged as a tune-up kit including a new carb and spark plug. $12.99 with next day delivery!!!!!!! That's compared to the online parts house where each little part of the filter assembly was listed separately, not including carb and spark plug, at around $15 total + UPS shipping.

These two deals got me thinking about the future of retail in general.

Local parts houses are not, strictly speaking, "retail". Many don't even want to talk to the general public. Frankly, I think they are shooting themselves in the foot, probably both feet at the same time.

The people who need to think about the future of retail, professional, and even wholesale sales are the local shops. They need to keep up. And I would think the more customers they have, the better. Their thinking seems to be the opposite. I have had to jump through hoops to get simple appliance parts from them. They seem to think that they need to "protect" their professional customers. But will those professional customers protect them when places like Amazon can ship the parts free with next day delivery and lower prices? I don't think so.
    Paul A.

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
    Local parts houses are not, strictly speaking, "retail". Many don't even want to talk to the general public. Frankly, I think they are shooting themselves in the foot, probably both feet at the same time.

The people who need to think about the future of retail, professional, and even wholesale sales are the local shops. They need to keep up. And I would think the more customers they have, the better. Their thinking seems to be the opposite. I have had to jump through hoops to get simple appliance parts from them. They seem to think that they need to "protect" their professional customers. But will those professional customers protect them when places like Amazon can ship the parts free with next day delivery and lower prices? I don't think so.
    When I said "retail" I wasn't thinking only of appliance parts. Parts places in general are probably dead in the long run anyway. Who fixes stuff anymore, certainly not the general public?

I was thinking retail in general. What doesn't Amazon carry.

I broke a piston ring on my kohler 14 hp lawn mower motor. I went to the local tractor parts/repair shop. They wanted $115 for the piston rings!!!
    I went online to a guy in Ohio bought an entire rebuild kit; rings, piston, piston arm, valves, all the seals, a spark plug and probably a few more things I don't remember for the same price with free delivery. That was the last time I went to that shop. I tried to buy local but if they are going to gouge me on prices like that oh well.

Amazon is usually good. I bought carbs for my trimmer, chainsaw, and tractor for like $20 each with free delivery. Why waste time on a rebuild kit when you can get a new one. (Quality has been decent and they all still run.) However, you do have to shop around. Some of their retailers charge high prices for certain items. I have often found lower prices on other websites, but usually never in a brick and mortar store.
    I tried to buy local but if they are going to gouge me on prices like that oh well.

I really do try and support local brick and mortar stores as much as possible, but it seems lately anytime I go in for parts for something I get the "we don't have that in stock, but I can order it for you"......Yeah, I can order it too, I was hoping to leave with it in my hand...

Called a place at the start of summer for some blades for my swisher pull behind mower. Yeah we'll have them in a week he said. Called a week later, I had to repeat the order for him.... I said, "you didn't even order them did you?" He assured me he did and swore up and down there must be a mix up. That was 2 months ago now..... I ordered them off amazon after I hung up, and got them within 3 days. Still waiting for that call that they're in.....

It's almost as if some places go out of their way to drive business away sometimes.

I wondered where my post went. Why did you post twice?

Nearly an hour apart too. ???

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
    But will those professional customers protect them when places like Amazon can ship the parts free with [b]next[/i] day delivery and lower prices? I don't think so.
    It is much more serious than that - same day delivery.

The HVAC places have been skinning us for years. Many will get their just desertions.

Around here it's hard to get an HVAC supply place to sell to the consumer. I just needed a fan. A very simple item. None would sell to me. I finally used my business license at a shop that I'd not been to yet and bought it as part of my IT consulting business. I paid the sales taxes, saying that it was for my company's use, going into a server farm cabinet.

I stopped going to the local Batteries and Bulbs+ when they wanted $75 for a 12 volt, 7 AH AGM battery. I got two online for $20 each and free shipping. Sadly, I'd offered to buy from the local guy if he agreed to split the price difference and was turned down. No profit appears to be better than a reduced profit.

Dan
    At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Quote Originally Posted by CCWKen View Post
    I wondered where my post went. Why did you post twice?

Nearly an hour apart too. ???
    Seems to be some posts missing.........

I was about to reply to the one that said Amazon doesn't "stock" anything, but the post is gone.

Living in Seattle I sometimes get down south in the Kent Valley which has mile after mile of recently built Amazon warehouses. If they don't stock anything what's in all those warehouses?

Some items we buy from Amazon clearly are shipped direct from their vendors. Others appear to have a local point of origin. The hedge trimmer parts will be interesting to see where they came from with next day shipping.

Yeah, I don't know what Cal meant in the other post. Maybe "stock" isn't the correct term but they sure come from an Amazon facility when it says "Fulfilled by Amazon". I've received products from the Arizona and Missouri facility on the second day. Items that come out of the San Antonio facility are on my door step the next day. Even if ordered late in the evening before. And I live in the sticks!

It's just not worth getting dressed and burning gas going up to the big city to buy sheets and the like. Or even the typical hardware stuff. Heck, the nearest Walmart is a 26 mile round trip!

I forgot to show this. I made this order around noon today. Part of it will be here tomorrow and part on Thursday. Can't beat that with stick!

Last edited by CCWKen; 09-17-2019 at 10:01 PM. Reason: Added Pic