Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: OT: the stuff Amazon has in stock.....

Quote Originally Posted by CCWKen View Post
    I wondered where my post went. Why did you post twice?

Nearly an hour apart too. ???
    It's over here in the other thread with the same title:
    http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/thr...37#post1255637

One of the last times I went to a shop that my dad and brother and I had bought a whole bunch of lawn and snow equipment and parts from, has just been getting worse and worse, I phoned them about a set of belts, they said yes, we have them in stock, I say great, I'm driving over right now to pick them up. Get there in about 20 minutes, they go "Oh, we sold them to someone else. Do you want to order them?" Um, no.

And before that, they were jerking me around when ordering parts. I would ask them "when do you expect them to come in". "For these parts, it should take about a week". Week passes, I start calling them every other day, parts haven't come in. Finally, after another week, I happen to get the guy I ordered the parts from, he goes "Oh, I didn't know you wanted them right away. I'll go and order them now."

Ar-Jays in Edmonton. Not recommended.

Yes, Amazon has quite a variety of things available BUT don't short change Walmart online. Walmart online has similar variety and often better prices. I bought O-1 drill rod from them for example, it was drop shipped by Zoro and arrived in a couple days. Last night I bought a name brand holster for a new pistol from Walmart, cheapest price around, ships FREE to the local store. Orders over $25 ship free to your house, and FAST.

Here is a search I did as a example https://www.walmart.com/ip/1-Engine-...-M10/981021075

Walmart doesn't "stock" any of that extended merchandise and "arrived in a couple days" is the key phrase here. When it's shipped is up to the supplier, not Walmart. They also ship using UPS or FedEx who don't deliver on Saturday or Sunday in this area. The couple-of-days could turn into 4-5 real quick. And as I explained in the duplicate topic, UPS and FedEx don't deliver past the front fence line. Being on a state route leaves the packages exposed to theft.

It's funny how we've come to expect packages in days now. I can remember when shipments took weeks. This is the electronics age! We expect things done in nanoseconds! "Where's my stuff" is what you say to the Amazon App.

Quote Originally Posted by CCWKen View Post
    It's funny how we've come to expect packages in days now. I can remember when shipments took weeks. This is the electronics age! We expect things done in nanoseconds! "Where's my stuff" is what you say to the Amazon App.
    It seems sometimes we've become an instant gratification society.

We get information on virtually anything in seconds with search engines, no more trips to the library. 2 day delivery from Amazon, some things delivered tomorrow, even some the same day.

On another forum there was speculation why so many new members didn't continue their interest in the fairly difficult to master craft. My theory is general impatience with the steep learning curve.

Wait to see what happens to the price once Amazon squeezes everyone else out.

Try to support the little guy as much as reasonably possible.

Quote Originally Posted by enginuity View Post
    Wait to see what happens to the price once Amazon squeezes everyone else out.

Try to support the little guy as much as reasonably possible.
    Amazon is not the same as Walmart. Amazon has warehouses full of "stuff" but also has independent merchants selling through the amazon marketplace. If I want next day, I look for the items that say "Fulfilled By Amazon". They can be here the next day for free.

Dan
    At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

I usually choose a "fulfilled by Amazon" item if it's an option and get it in two days even with free shipping. The local Amazon fulfillment center is in Point Richmond, I believe. About 20 miles away.

It's not just price - Amazon's customer service is second to none.

-js
    There are no stupid questions. But there are lots of stupid answers. This is the internet.

I have to agree on the Customer Service. I am a Prime Member and occasionally a package doesn't make it to my house. I go online and chat with support, they usually send a replacement the next day or refund my money plus a credit for an another purchase. All my lost packages were delivered by USPS, not Amazon.
    USPS also plays games and says they can't access my building (my house) and I get it in 3 days instead of 2. Seemingly if they are going to be late with an Amazon package, then they forget where my house is located?
    One thing I hate is when vendors (usually in China) have a different color for a different type of the same product. EG a product with male pins vs female instead of listing it separate. The one vendor kept trying to get me the right part but I gave up because the language barrier was just to great. I think Amazon has put an end to that.