Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: O.T. how bad is food shopping in the inner cities?

Quote Originally Posted by rzbill View Post
    Obviously improperly armed. A squeeze bulb horn or even the nuclear option of a compressed gas horn seems to be what is needed for the environment.

Better get some before they have to be registered.

I feel your pain. We hate shopping. Much prefer the stroll to the garden. No cell phone signal from any provider where we live so its not a popular property for the self absorbed masses.
    Don't even go there...
    "improperly armed"
    You are in the USA fer chrissakes.
    The next mass shooting - man goes ballistic in supermarket because someone blocked his aisle with a trolley, pulls out his AR15 and shoots 73 customers.....

Quote Originally Posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
    ....... - like were talking 35,000 ............
    That’s small? Where I live the town says as an ‘official ‘ slogan, “Just under 10,000 smiling faces.

Of course that was before I moved there ...........
    Last edited by jhe.1973; 09-21-2019 at 11:15 AM.
    Best wishes to ya’ll.

Sincerely,

Jim

"To invent you need a good imagination and a pile of junk" - Thomas Edison

"I've always wanted to get a job as a procrastinator but I keep putting off going out to find one so I guess I'll never realize my life's dream. Frustrating!" - Me

David Foster Wallace gave a great commencement speech a few years ago. Somebody took 9 minutes out of the middle and made it into a great video.

It talks about the shopping experience, and how the experience is in your mind, and that you can control how you experience it.

Quote Originally Posted by Glug View Post
    I think I've seen that movie.

Ha Ha Ha
    Yeah and just like the movie, shopping is fun until "The Family" shows up.
    Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
    Bad Decisions Make Good Stories

[QUOTE=jhe.1973;1256046]You'll like my my favorites!

The V6 Jeepster I had (68 IIRC) needed a distributor cap. Kaiser bought the engines from Buick and they either had a Delco distributor or Prestolite (I think). Both were described in the factory service manual I had. Parts guy brings out the Prestolite and I said I needed the Delco. He tells me that his book only shows the one he brought out. I said OK, look up 68 Buick 6 cyl. He brings out the correct cap and I said, yep thats it. Then he wants to argue with me saying someone put the wrong distributor in there. I didn't even bother responding.

Try going in with a V belt from something that you cobbled together, and telling the clerk that you need one just like it, but an inch shorter. You might get lucky if after ten minutes of "What model vehicle does it go on" you get an old guy that knows how to use the belt measuring tool that's hanging on the wall behind the counter.
    “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

second or third fart comment --- can u guys really manufacture farts on demand like that?
    Actually there is a phone app for just that.

Quote Originally Posted by thaiguzzi View Post
    Don't even go there...
    "improperly armed"
    The next mass shooting - man goes ballistic in supermarket because someone blocked his aisle with a trolley, pulls out his AR15 and shoots 73 customers.....
    Don't even joke about that, Americans shoot each other for less.
    The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

I sincerely do wonder if the cities are actually better due the fact that people are crammed in more and maybe it makes them more aware of it ------------??? so they get more efficient and expect efficiency too?
    I live in a city and have a weekend/vacation/etc place out in the sticks.

I think that there is much truth in what you said.

I find it is easier to make a left turn onto a heavily travelled road at rush hour in the city than out in the country. Much more likely that someone will stop and let you turn. My guess is that in the city we all realize that if we _didnt_ stop and let people turn then no one would get anyplace (besides, traffic is so bad that letting a car or two in front of you doesn’t significantly change your travel time).

In the country people hardly ever stop to let someone turn - traffic is light enough that a space will come along soon enough. But ... people also spread out more, leaving ample room to “be safe” but not enough to let someone turn Onto the road. Net result is fewer cars take more space ... making it take even longer.

Sigh

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    There are small shops and places in America without supermarkets?!! Not the image of the USA in the films. First time I came across a 24hr supermarket (long before we got them here where my local still closed at 5.30 so you couldn't get there after work and all shopping had to be done on Saturday) I went at 2 am just for the novelty. And it wasn't empty.
    Dawdlers aren't confined to shops. I see a phenomenon I call 'wide walkers' who are able to block an entire 6ft pavement / sidewalk by swaggering down the middle with bags hanging out two ft each side.
    My nearest is actually a Costco. Nice and roomy but there are still blockers. I have been to Costco in 4 continents and the contents and layout are almost identical in each. Only thing we could find different in an American one was the extra extra extra large ketchup bottle.
    I'm 48 these days and back when I was 10 nearly everything was closed on Sunday,save a couple gas stations and maybe a couple restaurants.Most shops closed at 12:00 on Saturday as well.Of course people had time to spend with their family,or go to church,or even visit friends and neighbors.Now it's a 24/7 endless grind and we are worse off because of it IMO.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Quote Originally Posted by thaiguzzi View Post
    Don't even go there...
    "improperly armed"
    Nah,never happens,you would be surprised at how much crap we have been programmed to put up with.The mass shootings are generally people who were off their rocker already,were taking SSRI'S and quit abruptly.Instead of offing themselves like many,these special ones decide to go on a killing spree.
    It's not just the US that sees mass killings either,just the weapon of choice is different.Petrol in the wrong hands is just as deadly.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-49027178

Absolutely and it really is part of the problem in the supermarkets, about half the people blocking isles were on their cellies talking to others - it's also a drag to hear everyone's conversations and decision making process about just what the sloths are going to consume for dinner that evening...
    About two years ago,I was waiting in the checkout line at my local independent grocer minding my own business.A zombie rolled up behind me and ran her buggy into my Achilles tendon on my left ankle which hurt like a bastard.I generally don't get angry and fly completely off the handle in private,let alone in public,but when I turned around and saw the dimwit just standing there still talking on her cell phone.And that she not only paid no mind to running into me and I had to push her buggy off of may leg even after she hit me,I lost it.

I finally got her attention alright,grabbed the basket,shook half the stuff out of it and yelling at the top of my lungs said "watch where you are going you stupid c**t!" You could have heard a pin drop in the store,but it really did hurt to the point I was still limping a little three months later.