Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Building a Homebrewed 5hp Electric Pressure Washer??

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside53 View Post
    my 2c.... CAT pumps. Look for surplus or NOS on Ebay, or if you are rich, buy new (many sources). CAT pumps are fully rebuildable and parts are not an issue, assuming you'll ever need them.
    Check out "dultmeier.com" for all the component parts you'll need.

I recently pulled a complete 5hp single phase belt drive unit out from under a junked hot water pressure washer(diesel fired unit).It was junked like a lot of them are when the hot water heat exchanger coil burns through.I hope to have it up and running soon as I get more time to work on it.I'll see if the pump has a data plate on it and post it.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

The advice given on flow and pressure should be read again! You have to decide what you want the pressure washer to wash. Do you need volume for flooding and rinsing or do you need pressure for removal power. Think of a CNC water jet machine. High pressure compared to volume. With only 5hp available you can't have both!
    How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Yes like everything it is a compromise.
    I will be washing everything from decades of baked on dirt/grease engines to my driveway.
    I would lean toward the high pressure/less volume end and preferably belt drive since my 5hp motors are not C faced and are 1750 rpm.

Quote Originally Posted by cijuanni View Post
    I want to make a electric pressure washer because I have a pile of 3 phase 5hp Baldor Industrial motors (real 5hp, not peak HP BS), won't need it mobile beyond the end of the power cord and don't like the gas/carb/fuel hassles.
    Just inquiring ... are these motors designed for use around water?

Sorry to hijack the thread a bit, but does anyone know whether the CAT pumps can run salt water as well? Or what the estimated lifetime is with salt water?

Quote Originally Posted by wyop View Post
    Just inquiring ... are these motors designed for use around water?
    They are drip proof, will have shielding and won't have the washer or cord in a puddle of water.

Drip proof is not a water rating for a motor. It has nothing to do with water.

Quote Originally Posted by CCWKen View Post
    Drip proof is not a water rating for a motor. It has nothing to do with water.
    Open Drip Proof (ODP)
    Allows air to circulate through the windings for cooling, but prevent drops of liquid from falling into motor within a 15 degree angle from vertical.

Well I guess it doesn't have to be water, that liquid could be vodka or something.

Anyway, it won't be subject to water anymore than your refrigerator is subject to water because it is in the vicinity of your kitchen sink.

So could we move on from the motors?
    And back to CAT pumps and specific recommendations of model #s.

Thanks.
    Last edited by cijuanni; 09-21-2019 at 09:26 PM.

I'm not sure you ratio for electric HP to gas HP works... A gas pressure washer runs at a constant speed and typically at it's "rated hp". No different in this case with your electric motor. 5hp gas will be 5hp "electric". 3gpm at 2500psi or 2750psi at 2.5gpm is typical for a 5-6hp pump. Plenty of data on CAT's or resellers sites.