Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Building a Homebrewed 5hp Electric Pressure Washer??

Default Building a Homebrewed 5hp Electric Pressure Washer??

I want to make a electric pressure washer because I have a pile of 3 phase 5hp Baldor Industrial motors (real 5hp, not peak HP BS), won't need it mobile beyond the end of the power cord and don't like the gas/carb/fuel hassles.

Which CAT pump would be best suited?
    I think the general rule is 1hp electric =2-2.5 gas.

Thanks!

Northern hydraulics has some electric power washers in there catalog, maybe you could get some info from looking at them.

Jon

I believe you will need to consider the desired operating parameters to accurately choose a pump. Available horsepower is only one such parameter. The gallons per minute flow and the desired pressure at that flow are the key data needed to pick a actual pump. Various combinations of pressure and flow can all yield a 5hp drive requirement.

We all read what we want to read, I seen the topic and skipped past the word "pressure" so thought you were actually going to put 5 ponies into a standard cloths washing machine,,, and then show a vid of the agitation action,,, you would have been my hero lol oh well --- carry on...

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky_NY View Post
    I believe you will need to consider the desired operating parameters to accurately choose a pump. Available horsepower is only one such parameter. The gallons per minute flow and the desired pressure at that flow are the key data needed to pick a actual pump. Various combinations of pressure and flow can all yield a 5hp drive requirement.
    Yes but since it is for pressure washing the parameters for the 2 are not that wide.

I see manufactured '5hp' pressure washers but suspect their '5hp' isn't equal to real 5hp so I am hesitant about choosing a pump based on their info.

Quote Originally Posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
    We all read what we want to read, I seen the topic and skipped past the word "pressure" so thought you were actually going to put 5 ponies into a standard cloths washing machine,,, and then show a vid of the agitation action,,, you would have been my hero lol oh well --- carry on...

I built a 3/4 yard concrete mixer with a 7.5hp motor.
    I guess I could wash 2 years worth of my dirty clothes in there if I wanted to have the legs and sleeves ripped off. lol

I have a TEM (Tipton Electric Motors) brand electric motor powered pressure washer. It's about as basic as they get, yet still works fine. Mine has a 1.5 hp 120/240 volt single phase motor with a general brand pump and unloader valve. The pump is 2.4 gpm @ 1,800 psi. It can be used with water up to 140*F. I don't know if General still makes this model pump, but there are several models close to it.

Mine looks almost exactly like this one:
    https://www.stealthpressurewashers.c...asher-ee2015g/

Mine lasted about 20 years in a commercial operation (20-30 hrs. per week) before the pump had to be replaced. The original pump had ceramic coated steel pistons and after 20 years the ceramic started to wear off the steel. The replacement pump has completely ceramic pistons. It's been in service for another 10 years in a non commercial setting.

Just make sure you can buy spares for the pump. I bought a 11hp gas washer and the ceramic pistons and sals broke when something went wrong and the cylinder head sheared the eight cap screws holding it. I searched for days and have had to get stainless pistons I turned up hard chromed.

I also had to make my own ptfe seals in an odd shape. It doesnt last. The hard chrome has scuffs on them which chews the seals for I find I have to make seals every now and then.
    I am amazed clean water could wear a stainless hard chromed piston so easily and now see why they use ceramic.

Yes, that is one of the reasons I like to assemble it myself, so I know the parts are available in the future.

I see Stealth makes 3hp with Baldor mtrs and then skips to 6hp.
    Odd they don't make 5hp, and I don't recall ever seeing a 6hp electric motor.

But I see other manufacturers using Baldor 5hp with 2000psi and 3.5gpm.

OK, where is the best place to find a quality pump with available parts with those specs?
    Last edited by cijuanni; 09-20-2019 at 01:05 PM.

my 2c.... CAT pumps. Look for surplus or NOS on Ebay, or if you are rich, buy new (many sources). CAT pumps are fully rebuildable and parts are not an issue, assuming you'll ever need them.