Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Cheap resin printers? Any good?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Kendal, On
    Posts
    1,800

    Default Cheap resin printers? Any good?

    On the fishing lure building slippery slope I'm currently on, I've discovered (and have some on the way) UV cure resin which lead me to finding out that 3d resin printers have now come into the sub $500 price range. I knew they existed from a couple years ago when I bought my chinese prussa clone FDM printer (anet a8), but haven't been paying attention to the market. Back then they were in the multi thousand dollar range.

    Long story short... Anybody have one? are they any good yet or should I wait a while.

    https://www.banggood.com/Longer-Oran...r_warehouse=CN

    Kids have been good this year so I might get them one for Christmas . Either that or a laser cutter. Wife would rather have the laser....

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    4,004

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Dubeau View Post
    On the fishing lure building slippery slope I'm currently on, I've discovered (and have some on the way) UV cure resin which lead me to finding out that 3d resin printers have now come into the sub $500 price range. I knew they existed from a couple years ago when I bought my chinese prussa clone FDM printer (anet a8), but haven't been paying attention to the market. Back then they were in the multi thousand dollar range.

    Long story short... Anybody have one? are they any good yet or should I wait a while.

    https://www.banggood.com/Longer-Oran...r_warehouse=CN

    Kids have been good this year so I might get them one for Christmas . Either that or a laser cutter. Wife would rather have the laser....
    Havent bought one yet, but am looking at the Prusa one. I view them much like inkjet printers, as in that I would only buy one that is designed to use generic, open sourced resins.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Springfield Mo
    Posts
    616

    Default

    I've got an Elegoo Mars. Worth every penny if you need small, highly detailed prints. Absolutely fantastic results, bit of a learning curve but well worth it

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    4,004

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by epicfail48 View Post
    I've got an Elegoo Mars. Worth every penny if you need small, highly detailed prints. Absolutely fantastic results, bit of a learning curve but well worth it
    What resin options do you have? Any ABS like resins that offer enough strength for say Lego pieces such as tank treads that have little hooks that snap together?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Springfield Mo
    Posts
    616

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RB211 View Post
    What resin options do you have? Any ABS like resins that offer enough strength for say Lego pieces such as tank treads that have little hooks that snap together?
    Anything that cures under a 405nm light, so pretty much most 3d printing resins. There are some printers that still demand the proprietary stuff, but the general trend nowadays is use whatever you want, the Mars isnt actually special in that regard. The Longer Orange is the same way, as is the Anycubic Photon. Personally i just use the Elegoo standard grey resin, havent dug into performance too much as my use for prints is decorative, not structural. That said, the stuff is still surprisingly durable, if a little on the brittle side. I do also know that there are ABS-like resins available, stuff that gives similar performance to actual ABS plastic.

    On the printer side of things, now that i have a bit more time to go into it, ill recommend the Elegoo Mars over other printers in this price bracket. The Longer Orange has a screen resolution of 854489, compared to the Mars's 20481080, for a roughly same sized build platform. What this means is that the Mars will have much smaller voxels in the final print, which means better, smaller details. Personally, that change knocks the Longer out of the pool of choices for me, if im going with a resin printer i want the best detailed prints i can get, for the price anyways. The Photon shares the same screen as the Mars, but the Photon also has a 15w UV light, in comparison to the Mars's 40w light. More powerful UV light means faster cure times per layer, which means overall faster parts. The Mars and the Photon are very comparable machines, granted, but personally i think the Mars wins out.

    Final thing worth noting, resin printing is a special beast and youre going to need more than just the printer. First and foremost, when you take a model out of the printer, the model is not in a finished state. That part is very important, and different from an FDM printer. Off a resin printer, the piece is still in a 'green' state, and youll need to clean off the excess resin and expose the part to UV light to completely finish the curing. This can be as simple as rolling it around in a bowl of isopropyl alcohol and setting it in the sun for a day, but honestly thats inefficient and doesnt give good results. Much better is an ultrasonic cleaner with IPA for the cleaning, then water to wash the model off, then into a UV curing chamber which can be as simple as a 5 gallon bucket, lined with aluminium tape and wired up with some 405nm LED lights, can find a strip on Amazon for about $15. Also extremely important to have are gloves, the uncured resin is pretty nasty stuff, somewhat potent neurotoxin if memory serves. Not the kindve stuff you want on your skin, gloves are cheaper than hospital visits. Youll also need to get ready for the cost of the resin, its not horrific but it is about $20 for 500ml of the lower end stuff. Can get a good amount of models out of that, but still, bit of sticker shock coming from FDM printing where you can get a 1kg spool of the good stuff for the same price

    Oh, and the resin is non-toxic after it fully cures. Probably worth mentioning that. Wouldnt want to eat off it, but its not plutonium

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    4,004

    Default

    Thank you for the info, I also believe these printers print MUCH faster, not counting the finishing steps involved, but because the entire layer is formed at once, filling the build plate with say 50 tiny lego pieces would print in the same amount of time as one lego piece, correct?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Springfield Mo
    Posts
    616

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RB211 View Post
    Thank you for the info, I also believe these printers print MUCH faster, not counting the finishing steps involved, but because the entire layer is formed at once, filling the build plate with say 50 tiny lego pieces would print in the same amount of time as one lego piece, correct?
    Well, yes and no. Yes in that each individual layer is printer massively faster than a layer on a FDM printer would be, 6-15 seconds in the resin vs 20-90 seconds for FDM. That said, the layers in resin printing are much, much smaller, so while the individual layer time is lower, the overall build time is generally higher. Course, you can speed that up on the resin printer by going with thicker layers, but that defeats the purpose in my opinion.

    You are completely correct that a full bed of stuff getting printed takes the same time as 1 object. Each layer can expose the entire buildplate, and more exposure doesnt add more time. Only thing that extends the build time is height, so yes, 50 lego pieces would be just as fast as a single one. That said though, legos would be overkill for a resin printer, basic shapes like that are more the domain of the FDM printers. Not because the resin cant do it, but because youre leaving a lot of capability unused. Now, if you were printing Lego minifigs, thats where youd want resin

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    On the Oil Coast,USA
    Posts
    19,683

    Default

    Funny this thread should come up,I just bought an Anycubic Photon S off Amazon lastnight, birthday present to myself

    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

    Myfordboy on the tube just did a demo and printed some casting patterns a day or so ago and recommended the Printfarm Channel for some tips-

    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5k...3gjywPQ/videos
    I just need one more tool,just one!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Kendal, On
    Posts
    1,800

    Default

    Thanks for the info epic. I think I'm going to hold off on the printer for now and get a laser instead. It's nice to know they work good though.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    4,004

    Default

    Only 269$ for the Mars printer... That is incredible...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •