Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is this tool and how is it used?

Default What is this tool and how is it used?

I was given an old Starrett wooden tool box full of stuff and this is the last item I need to identify. It says Mayhew Made in USA but I'll be damned if I can figure out what it is for. An hour or so search on google didn't turn up anything. The shaft is about 1/2" in diameter.

Barrel extended

Barrel retracted

End view with barrel retracted

More photos to come

End view with barrel extended

Closeup of barrel

It's an extensible drive mechanism for something,,,, I have no idea what..

It is an extension for a wood auger. It looks like the end that dits the brace was cut or broken off.

Quote Originally Posted by Illinoyance View Post
    It is an extension for a wood auger. It looks like the end that dits the brace was cut or broken off.
    Boy --- i dunno,,, i remember the old style wood augers your talking about and they indeed had a square drive but it was radically tapered and im not seeing this thing working that way as there's no taper in the drive unit from my angle anyways...

I think a drive for an auger bit is out of the question. For one there is no way to tighten the auger tang. Two the barrel and and key are way to flimsy to hold up under the torque required to drive an auger. If you've ever augered a 3/4" hole with brace & bit in even medium density wood you would understand.

The barrel of this tool extends and retracks via the thumb knob and is prevented from turning because it has a key that slides with it. If it was made as an extension for a square drive there would be no need for the barrel to be adjustable. I've been around tools all my life and I cannot think of one single task this would have been made for. The keyed barrel and adjustment knob are a unique design and well made.

Quote Originally Posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
    Boy --- i dunno,,, i remember the old style wood augers your talking about and they indeed had a square drive but it was radically tapered and im not seeing this thing working that way as there's no taper in the drive unit from my angle anyways...
    I've got two different ones out in my shop,I''ll take a look tomorrowp

Quote Originally Posted by Illinoyance View Post
    Illinoyance is correct. To use this you extend the barrel, slip the auger bit in the barrel hole and turn the bit 45 degrees. When you then retract the barrel the bit is pulled into the smaller square hole in the shaft which is what drives the bit. The barrel and its keys take no torque. The bit is pulled back only by the corners of the large end of the taper. These square auger bit tapers were not made with the precision of a morse taper that we are more used to seeing in a machine shop. Also, the driving contact was not along the entire taper, but was a line contact wherever the bit happened to seat in the shaft. The barrel only held it in position.
    Last edited by jhe.1973; 09-21-2019 at 05:39 AM.
    Best wishes to ya’ll.

Sincerely,

Jim

"To invent you need a good imagination and a pile of junk" - Thomas Edison

"I've always wanted to get a job as a procrastinator but I keep putting off going out to find one so I guess I'll never realize my life's dream. Frustrating!" - Me

Im not seeing that locking anything --- if the smaller internal drive resides way inside the way larger square drive then turning it 45 degree's will still make it just fall out no?

One way to use this, and it might help picture it, is to load the tool with the square hole up. Then dropping the bit in will automatically turn the bit. Then retracting the barrel will grab the larger corners of the square tang. His photo of the end with the barrel retracted might now make more sense. I’m on the road and using my phone - if I was at my desktop I’d mark his photo of the end with arrows showing where the larger comers will contact the barrel midway along the lengths of the square hole. Actually I just realized that if I was home, I’d just take a photo of mine with a bit in place!
    Best wishes to ya’ll.

Sincerely,

Jim

"To invent you need a good imagination and a pile of junk" - Thomas Edison

"I've always wanted to get a job as a procrastinator but I keep putting off going out to find one so I guess I'll never realize my life's dream. Frustrating!" - Me