Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BP Left Rear Table Way Lacking Oil

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rand View Post
    If it's any consolation. The Beaver milling machine I rebuilt had four oil zerks for the table and saddle and four for the knee. After I rebuilt it it has a few more:-

That is quite the set up. I've never seen circular oil grooves.

JL............

Quote Originally Posted by JoeLee View Post
    I'm not sure where the check valves are. Have to look it over real close.
    I don't believe they are in the metering jets, maybe in the pump or at the manifold input ??

The handle comes back slowly after I push it down. By that time all the oil should be where it has to go. the lines look like they are full of oil, nothing running back.

JL.............
    The metering valves are usually on the manifold - small brass devices. Post picture of your manifold.

edit - just like the pic above.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeLee View Post
    No oil tubes on this one. The holes are drilled through the saddle, drilled them myself when I put the system on it. The 90 degree brass elbows screw into the saddle.

JL............
    ok.. but you have a tube that goes to the elbow. Any oil in that?

Yes, it looks like there's oil in the tube, hard to tell because they're yellowed. I'll take some pics tomorrow.

JL.....

Disconnect the tube from the elbow and operate the pump. That way you'll know which side of the elbow the problem lies.
    'It may not always be the best policy to do what is best technically, but those responsible for policy can never form a right judgement without knowledge of what is right technically' - 'Dutch' Kindelberger

My BP is old-School. It has Zerks and I converted one of my old grease guns for use with oil (sealed the end). With the locking hose end, I just connect and pump until I see oil come out of the joints. I can't be bothered with those new fangled contraptions that need all that fine tuning and maintenance. Now my oil drip system for the head is different.

I put this one shot oiler on my mill about 20 years ago or so. I bought the pump and tank new, the rest was stripped from another BP that I bought for the vari drive head.
    I was very careful in paying close attention as to what metering jet went where. I capped off the original oil holes with brass set plugs. I drilled and tapped the saddle.
    I had instructions from BP somewhere.
    I don't know if I can get back under the table to pull the line off of that one elbow. If something is clogged I would suspect it's the jet since that is the part with the smallest hole.
    The elbows ID are around 1/8". Not likely to clog, at least not with clean filtered oil.

JL................

The metering jet on the far left of the manifold is the one that supplies the left rear table way.

I can't remember how the saddle oil holes are set up, but if the dovetail is wet with oil why isn't the flat way?

JL...........

Pull the tube off the metering valve at the manifold see if any oil comes out of the valve. BTW. metering valves are almost impossible to clean out - the check valve prevents blowing though in reverse. Not expensive - the number and series is stamped on the side.
    Last edited by lakeside53; 09-23-2019 at 09:06 PM.