Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tools and the twilight zone.

I once took my dog out for an evening walk, leash in one hand, and my keys in the other hand.
    We walked to the park, turned around and came home.
    About 3/4's of the way back home, it dawned on me that I was no longer holding my keys in my left hand!!
    Whaaaattt?????
    Panic-mode sets it, as the sun was setting, and it was getting dark out.
    I dropped off the dog, and back-tracked with a flashlight.
    Didn't find my keys anywhere.
    Next day called the Police to see if anyone had turned them in. NOPE!
    It bugged me... so I kept re-tracing my route.
    3 days later, on my 4th or 5th re-tracing of my route, I glanced down in the park, and see my keys lying underneath a small, recently planted tree.
    How in the Hell I dropped them, and how they bounced over to the base of that tree is beyond the laws of Physics.

Was using a long driver bit to put some screws in the other day. The top I was installing kind of fell at an angle, and everything on it hit the floor. Found everything except the driver bit. I'm sure I spent at least an hour looking for it, and I had to go get another one to finish the job. I thought that when I no longer needed it I'd find it- but no luck.

Usually when I lose something and can't find it, it will show up a week later in the last spot I put it.
    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Quote Originally Posted by Mcgyver View Post
    don't worry, the mower will find it.
    Sometimes the best jokes are short/simple and just plain hilarious lol

I've taught myself to keep my eyes open when I drop something - quite often you'll see where it bounces. No kidding, I found that I would often close my eyes when it hit the ground, don't know why. That and making sure there are no spaces for things to bounce into has helped reduce the lost to found ratio. Still have no idea where a 1/16 allen key went one day, that was so lost I just bought another set.

Try having something disappear when you have the valve cover off of an engine sometime,,, talk about blind panic,,, you will find it ------- it may take a half day but nothings getting reassembled without the missing tool/part/fastener being accounted for...

Glad I'm not the only one.

4 weeks ago I burned up a belt on the tow behind lawnmower and had to remove the belt cover to change it. Took the one 3/8" nut off and set it down on the deck, changed the belt and put the cover back on. Searched high and low for that bolt but couldn't find it so I just grabbed another one. Yesterday I burned up another belt, and when I took that bolt off this time I set it down on the deck. Right next to the one from last time lol. It was on the back of the deck, about 3" from the edge and didn't fall off. 3 mowings and about 7hrs of being towed behind an atv on some bumpy terrain and it just sat there.

It may not help much outdoors, but for in the shop I highly recommend this. It has saved me a million times.

A Dropped Part Finder: Machinist's Workshop, Aug-Sep 2011

or you can download it here:

https://www.homemadetools.net/forum/...424#post104258

It both finds them and, with strong magnets, picks them up if they are magnetic. It is great for small screws, nuts, and other small parts as it can cause them to cast a large shadow which makes them stand out. You can see in the photo that the shadow makes the small screw stand out even on that floor tile pattern that was deliberately designed to hide dirt and small objects.

And it could be useful outdoors by dragging it through the grass. Anything magnetic within an inch or so will get picked even if it is not seen.

Mine sits proudly on my work bench all the time and is used often.
    Last edited by Paul Alciatore; 09-22-2019 at 05:28 PM.
    Paul A.

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

ha - i use that trick with a flashlight beam on the floor too - but just hold the light and also get down and look at floor level and EVERYTHING stands out,,, it's definitely one of my go too methods for smaller parts...

Back in the early 70's I was working on the exhaust system for a car in the shop, Mercedes if I remember. Up on the hoist I'm looking at the bell housing and son of a gun if there isn't a socket just stuck on one of the nuts. I called the shop owner over to see this interesting thing where all the driving around that the car did had not dislodged the socket. He said, "It can't come off. You can put a socket on the nut as you're assembling it, but once everything is in place there's not room enough to get it back." Sure enough. I couldn't get it off so the car went back out with its captive socket.

I guess I never asked if that was a factory feature.
    "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by loose nut View Post
    I have searched the area over and over but I can't find it.

Has my back yard become a portal for tools to go into another dimension. Is this the same place half our socks go to??? It would explain a few things.
    Wow! I was working in my garage today and I came across a chisel that I had never seen before. I guess that your portal leads to here. Anything else you would like to toss thru?