Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: OT: Sad day in aviation: Collings B17 has crashed

Cockpit picture. Presumably the 4 large levers are throttle, and the smaller ones forward of that are the mixture controls.

https://shootaviation.com/sets-and-m...1079-gallery-2

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Funny you to mention the 'cowboy' attitude.
    I've seen cowboy pilots get lightning strikes, turbulence inspections, hard landings inspections, et. al.,
    BUT, I've not seen a cowboy pilot 'crash & burn' in a heap.
    Just sayin'........30years A&P

Quote Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
    Funny you to mention the 'cowboy' attitude.
    I've seen cowboy pilots get lightning strikes, turbulence inspections, hard landings inspections, et. al.,
    BUT, I've not seen a cowboy pilot 'crash & burn' in a heap.
    Just sayin'........30years A&P
    You've never seen the B52 crash at the airshow? The Florida Jet 737-200 crash into the icy waters on takeoff, or countless other crashes where CRM wasn't followed due to cowboy attitudes?

On August 31, 1988, I was flying into DFW, and we could see smoke and wreckage on the ground as we were landing. After landing, we learned that a plane had crashed on take-off, and it was determined that the crew had been joking around and had neglected to properly configure the aircraft for take-off. Also a critical alarm was non functional, not checked by maintenance.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delta_...es_Flight_1141

https://www.dallasnews.com/photos/20...port-kills-14/

Quote Originally Posted by RB211 View Post
    You've never seen the B52 crash at the airshow? The Florida Jet 737-200 crash into the icy waters on takeoff, or countless other crashes where CRM wasn't followed due to cowboy attitudes?
    I remember a turboprop crash years ago where the final report showed the pilot intentionally put the engines into beta/ reverse thrust position before touchdown. Apparently not the first time either.

https://apnews.com/11e40928395518d4ebb7b34dd67ea209
    Last edited by Sparky_NY; 10-10-2019 at 07:00 AM. Reason: found link to story

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky_NY View Post
    I remember a turboprop crash years ago where the final report showed the pilot intentionally put the engines into beta/ reverse thrust position before touchdown. Apparently not the first time either.

https://apnews.com/11e40928395518d4ebb7b34dd67ea209
    There are two points in aviation history where fatalities had a significant drop. The wide scale adoption of gas turbine engines, and the second, adoption of Crew Resource Management.

Quote Originally Posted by RB211 View Post
    There are two points in aviation history where fatalities had a significant drop. The wide scale adoption of gas turbine engines, and the second, adoption of Crew Resource Management.
    I am sure that is very true, my point was the existence of a few cowboys out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky_NY View Post
    I am sure that is very true, my point was the existence of a few cowboys out there.
    CRM removed the cowboys from the cockpit at 121 airlines

I think there are still a few oddities around. That Canadian deal where the crew landed at the wrong place, and some "removed for being drunk" etc. They end up removing themselves, but hopefully just themselves.

What were the means by which CRM has removed "cowboys" , and hopefully also "idiots"?

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

I just looked the NTSB site video for the first time. That Quonset hut was actually a tent and the metal building to the left was put up while I was working there to house vacuum evaporators that concentrated up the Glycol to about 50% from the 10% or so that we produced in the tent. You can see the equipment I installed through the big hole. In the center is an ultrafiltration unit and behind it you can see the large white tubes of the 2 stage RO unit. Glad I was NOT there for this!