Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: JC Hannum auction

Default JC Hannum auction

As most of you know, Jim Hannum was a long-time member here, generously sharing his know-how. He was taken from us a year ago in July, IIRC. I just found out that his stuff is going under the gavel on Oct. 19, 10:00 AM in Waterville, OH. Particulars are here:

https://toledo.craigslist.org/tls/d/...989580520.html

It looks like there's a lathe, 2 smaller-sized knee mills, machinist tools, reloading supplies, model engines, and more. His work was of first-rate quality, and his tools reflect it. (I visited Jim on several occasions)

I doubt that I'll be able attend because of personal reasons, but I'd sure like to be there.

<<Jim>>

Thanks for the link. I won't make the auction, living in Oregon. I always wonder what the other guys shops look like. Looks like Jim left for the evening, and never came back.

No lot listing (that I could find), two simultaneous actions, I'm thinking this will be a bloodbath for the widower. Anyway you slice it, Auctioneer walks away richer. Upside is that the shop will be emptied.

I must have been under a rock, since I did not know he had passed. Sorry to hear that.

We're losing too many now, here and at PM.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

How old was Jim, anybody know? He was certainly always a positive presence here. Never an unkind word from him.

A lot of nice looking firearms, and all look very well cared for!

What constitutes a falling block? Would that be anything other than bolt action or a break action, or of course an automatic. Does the term mean the block movement literally has to be from high to low? ...that's kinda what the name suggests.
    Last edited by lynnl; 10-03-2019 at 07:58 PM.

A falling block gun is where the breech block slides up and down to cover and uncover the place where the cartridge is inserted. A Winchester high wall action is a good example. These are strong actions frequently used for varmit rifles. Harry Pope put together some great high wall outfits.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Clarke View Post
    I always wonder what the other guys shops look like. Looks like Jim left for the evening, and never came back.
    He was a nice guy - if it was that simple then a good way to go,,,

it's the big chill fella's --- were all heading there so don't feel too bad for others that are "gittin out while the gettins good"

as for me I hope it's eye's wide open and shaking my fist at the sky tellin him to "come on down and getcha some --- Boy"...

Quote Originally Posted by reggie_obe View Post
    No lot listing (that I could find), two simultaneous auctions, I'm thinking this will be a bloodbath for the widower.
    If the photos are any indication, the Auctioneer does not know the first thing about machinery or tools, especially for metal working.

Out of respect for JCH, people here could attempt an intervention.

If nearby members reached out to the auctioneer and whomever is in charge of the estate, perhaps their assistance could be put to use in identifying items, gathering together related pieces and laying everything out in a meaningful manner.

Even distant members could participate. Using the existing photos as a starting point, a lot can be done towards identification, gathering and organization for display.

You won't know unless you try ...

Last edited by EddyCurr; 10-04-2019 at 10:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by J Tiers View Post
    I must have been under a rock, since I did not know he had passed. Sorry to hear that.
    We're losing too many now, here and at PM.
    In stout agreement. (since there is no "like" feature)