Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: O. T. 5G Phones

Default O. T. 5G Phones

I'm in the market for a new phone to replace my Samsung S7 Edge. My Samsung phones have always been pretty good but the S7 has had some problems. I'm debating on buying a S9. A friend of mine has one and it is a great phone according to him and he is an IT guy.

I keep hearing about the new 5G technology and I'm wondering if it will take years for the service providers to start offering 5G in a lot of areas or if they will only offer it in a few large markets and it will be several years before it becomes the mainstream technology. I remember when 3G and 4G were rolled out and it didn't effect most rural areas for several years after bit cities had them.

I usually replace my phones every 2 to 3 years.

Is there anybody on this board that has already bought a 5G phone?

Thanks, Brian
    OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Have not bought one,

BUT...

They have only pulled cable for the setup so far, here. I understand the range is extremely short, and the density of "towers" has to be much higher. So apparently Verizon is potting in cable ducts that will house cable to service area networks in my suburban but still somewhat dense area. As far as I know, they have done nothing further so far, they may not even have polled cable..

This is what I was told, I do not know the actual use to which the cable will be put. But no installation of "tower" equipment has been done yet, and I would probably have seen it being done, as I an retired and arounnd the "estate" most days.

Based on that, it does not look like it will be happening very soon. And in rural areas it may not at all, due to the density vs call volume issue.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

I think in the US it'll be a long time to get 5G outside of the cities. 5G is particularly good for dense areas but even more expensive than 4G to build up a network.

I asked the same question of my service provider recently and this is the answer I got-

"5G isn't a software upgrade,it's a hardware upgrade (5G chipset). If the phone you are considering doesn't include the required hardware, then 5G will never be an issue, because the phone will never be capable of using it."

From what I see only the S10 is currently 5G capable, that said, just because it can, that doesn't mean it will if there is no network in your area. Like you mentioned, it will be awhile before widespread use becomes the norm. It will also be awhile before 3G and 4G go the way of the dinosaur, if ever. The question I would be asking if I were buying a new phone (and I'm not) would be will the new model XXX 5G phone be backwards compatible? Will it also work on 3/4G?

My standing rule is never buy a new (newly released) model anything. Let everyone else spend their money and go through the headaches before diving in. That's why it's 2019 and I'm still using an iphone 5S
    I just need one more tool,just one!

What is the reason for 5G? My 4G/LTE Samsung S8 can download at 10 MB a second with a good signal. Updated my iPad with it, over a gig of updates in a few minutes. 4G/LTE as is will drain your data plan in minutes if you don't have unlimited data.
    5g is shorter range. Suppose the benefits are more bandwidth for more simultaneous users.

I figure the main benefit is it removes more money from consumers pockets.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Quote Originally Posted by RB211 View Post
    5g is shorter range. Suppose the benefits are more bandwidth for more simultaneous users.
    That is indeed the idea. More nodes in dense areas. I do not think it would work well in the countryside, so the longer range services will likely persist.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Reasons to go with the S9 and 4G/LTE:

DISCLAIMER: I'm a satisfied user of a S9+ on Verizon.

Red Herring: Many believe that the whole purpose of 5g is to allow the large companies like Verizon, AT&T, Comcas, Googlet, etc to bypass the physical cable that provides traditional Cable TV and broadband. With the government's backing they will gobble up huge portions of the usable RF spectrum. The advantages to the mobile phone user will be slight.

Cost: The S9+ is heavily discounted. Mine works quite well on Verizon. Except at home. A recently built shopping mall has overloaded the antenna that serves my neighborhood. The cell site upgrade is due last September.

Coverage: Verizon is phasing out their 3G coverage. I got that from a Verizon Tech. When they do that, the spectrum CAN be used for 4G or 5G. It's a marketing decision more than a technical one.

Coverage: 5G can use the 6 GHz to 100 GHz bands. These are shorter range and more easily obstructed so line of sight will be needed. Great for busy city. Not so great in small town. If Verizon continues their current policies, the 5G will be very spotty in small towns with islands of coverage.

Latency: They claim that they need lower latency for the "internet of things". That's basically bogus. A T1 line has a latency of about 50ms. My 4G phone has about the same. My cable modem adds another 10ms. But the bottleneck is not at my phone. The gateway between Verizon and AT&T added another 50ms. The final hop to Homeshopmachiists.net adds even more latency for a total of 112ms (over my cable modem) . Fixing it at the phone will not make a major difference to daily use.

Latency: What's the impact of lower latency between your ISP and the sites that you visit? Here are two traceroutes to this BBS. One is over a very low speed AT&T DSL (1.2Mbps down,500Kbps up) and the other is over a Comcast cable modem (90Mbps down,6Mbps up). The comcast connection uses 16 routers to make the trip but it is only 10% faster than the DSL. Verizon blocks the packets used to check latency via traceroute, but it appears to be similar to the DSL line.
    16 12.251.111.206 (12.251.111.206) 113.070 ms 113.051 ms 112.986 ms ( Cable modem )
    5 12.251.111.206 (12.251.111.206) 127.166 ms 128.102 ms 129.041 ms ( DSL )

Speed: They say your PHONE needs faster data. That's not usually true. The bottleneck in most downloads is no longer at the consumer's end. The bottleneck is at the website that you are connecting to. I have a LOT of IOT toys, servers and whatnot in my house. Last month we used 70GB for the whole house. Do you need a phone that can download all the monthly data used in a busy house in only seconds? Did not think so.

Security: The security protocols for the 5G standard are not finalized. It may be a while before it gets any better than what we have now.

TLDR: There are few benefits to a MOBILE user. Lots of smoke and mirrors. Stick with a 4G for now.

Dan
    At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

It looks like the 5G is a lot like it was when 3G and 4G were introduced. I remember being in Chicago with a 3 and 4 G phones and finally getting to use them at their full speed but it was a long time before it was available in West Michigan where I live for most of the year.

Kind of like the 4K televisions. We bought one a few years ago because our old TV was almost 10 years old and had a few issues. I don't think there is still any 4K programming available here.

Dan, A freind of mine in Scottsdale has a S9 and when were were there last winter his S9 outperformed my S7 by a long shot. I think I'll go with a S9 for now, possibly a S9+ if it will fit in my pants pocket OK.

Thanks for the advice guys.
    Brian
    OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Brian: You mentioned "his S9 outperformed my S7 by a long shot"

Yeah, the S9 has a more modern radio chip and processor in it. More memory helps too.

Hope you enjoy it.

Dan
    At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.