Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 68

Thread: Call into the Universe

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    24

    Default

    Black Forest, being new to the site and struggled to get pictures posted and after some help, I manage to get it ready to post. Only then I thought to make a Grand Entrance (Magnus Opum) and decided to add the song references while listening to old music.
    I am a normal person, just turned 64, retired, previous headmaster -13 years, businessman - 23 years, a politician for 15 years and so on. Holding a masters in psychology, don't drink coolaid but Brandy, don't do drugs but like life and people a lot!

    I just tried to uplift the spirit a bit and don't be mad about my 'misical' thread.
    I find the site very interesting, professional, friendly and very helpful.

    I did not make any friends on the site and will you please be my first friend?

    Kobus.
    Naughty line again: I really did not attempt to be disrespectful. (Who let the dogs out - Baha men)

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    durban s africa
    Posts
    1,521

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lynnl View Post
    I'm with Black Forest.

    It's hard enough to try to decipher and make sense of someone's questions and problems, even without a bunch of rambling, irrelevant sentences and phrases interspersed throughout.
    Its simple. Kobus just wants to put his southbend together again.Tough crowd this. You want to chase one of the few S Africans away. Kobus, Ill be your friend.This place is full of cranky old bastards so you have to be a bit thick skinned to survive here.But they are quite knowledgeable and I also love this site.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    24

    Default

    Plunger, must say you are very sharp! Yes, it is a bandsaw and part and parcel of my problem. While building a panel beating shop 6 years ago the saw fell off the truck and broke some parts. When I started refurbishing all my equipment (now retired) I realize there are some parts that need a lathe. Luckily I managed to get my old lathe back from the shop I sold but in a very bad condition. The funny part is I have two machines to fix and while being in hospital one of my guys decided to 'clean up' my work area. Now everything is mixed and afraid I will be the first man on earth who will have bandsaw blade as 'cuttingtool' on a lathe or 'headstock' on his bandsaw. Thanks

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    durban s africa
    Posts
    1,521

    Default

    What part of your bandsaw is broken.?I am from Durban.We are busy trying to put an old 1940 southbend together so we also have many questions. It looks like your lathe is taiwanese made from the seventys.(total thumbsuck) There is also a southbend google mail group .But I would just start by putting the headstock on and then the carriage etc.Its really quite a basic machine.

    The one we are busy with has plenty wrong with it. We have had to get the spindle gear built up with welding and then had to get a new gear machined on it. This we sent out . Some of the gears were also made but the engineering shop stuffed them up. I have to make a new quill and then try scrape the tailstock in.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    SF East Bay.
    Posts
    6,626

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Witwaks View Post
    Now everything is mixed and afraid I will be the first man on earth who will have bandsaw blade as 'cuttingtool' on a lathe or 'headstock' on his bandsaw. Thanks
    Don't count on it. We've seen all sorts of odd machine mashups on this board. LOL

    Welcome and hope you enjoy the site.

    Dan
    At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    24

    Default

    Plunger, thanks a lot for your friendliness. My cell is 0824432310 but I am staying in South Africa.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    SE Texas
    Posts
    12,564

    Default

    Err, sorry. If you are looking for a "first man on earth" distinction, you will have to look further. Bandsaw on a lathe has been done already.

    Seriously, since you took my advise and asked on the General board, I will attempt another bit of advice. Plunger is correct, "This place is full of cranky old bastards...". But some of us are also friendly so don't despair. But that second piece of advise: you will get better and faster answers if you state your questions without the unnecessary references to music. This is probably due to the fact that many here are in a working environment and do not have the time to figure out what you are saying. But then, others like myself are retired and just here for fun.

    By the way, nice pictures. I always find it interesting how similar machine shops look the world over. I only detected one clue to the fact that you are not in the Americas or Europe.

    I am sorry that I can not help with the manual you are seeking. I don't know how helpful it may be, but you said it is a copy of a South Bend. South Bend manuals are readily available on the internet.



    Quote Originally Posted by Witwaks View Post
    Plunger, must say you are very sharp! Yes, it is a bandsaw and part and parcel of my problem. While building a panel beating shop 6 years ago the saw fell off the truck and broke some parts. When I started refurbishing all my equipment (now retired) I realize there are some parts that need a lathe. Luckily I managed to get my old lathe back from the shop I sold but in a very bad condition. The funny part is I have two machines to fix and while being in hospital one of my guys decided to 'clean up' my work area. Now everything is mixed and afraid I will be the first man on earth who will have bandsaw blade as 'cuttingtool' on a lathe or 'headstock' on his bandsaw. Thanks
    Paul A.

    Make it fit.
    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    24

    Default

    Plunger, it is the main base hinge shaft and two mountings of the saw. I repaired it temporarily but it is skew and the blade is slipping off constantly. Nice to hear there is another member under our rainbow. You are correct the lathe is made in Taiwan and in 1982 but the name Fragram is very strange. The manual I had those days was quite complete, friendly and believe it was printed in Britain? As mentioned I started assembling today by spending 20 minutes on each portion and then jumps to the next. 'Working all the small bolts, keys, pins, etc. where I believe it must be' - I think it is a kind of 'elimination process' to see what is left behind and then see where to stick the 'extra's' somewhere.
    If carrying on like this there may be enough 'leftovers' for another lathe! .
    Sorry to hear about your SB battle but I also had to ask a George engineering shop to make two gears and will pick it up on Thursday.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    24

    Default

    Paul, thanks for the advice - sometimes, but just sometimes you must listen to your wife. Before I posted the thread I asked my wife to proofread it and she warned me - maybe I just went a bit too far and 'overboard'. Must say I had a good laugh on Black Forest's response.
    Thanks for the help and clear guidance with the posting of photos. I really appreciate it!
    I downloaded some South Bend manuals but it is not exactly the same and nickel-city-fab replied that it could be a South Bend 9A and I will try that route.
    At this stage, I manage to assemble some portions and believe I will be done by Friday - 'life is a learning-curve-process' [a bit common sense, tea break, staring, fiddling, tea break, turning around, trial and error techniques]

    After all, I am on pension and agree with you: "Make it Fit"

    Thanks

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    durban s africa
    Posts
    1,521

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Witwaks View Post
    Plunger, it is the main base hinge shaft and two mountings of the saw. I repaired it temporarily but it is skew and the blade is slipping off constantly. Nice to hear there is another member under our rainbow. You are correct the lathe is made in Taiwan and in 1982 but the name Fragram is very strange. The manual I had those days was quite complete, friendly and believe it was printed in Britain? As mentioned I started assembling today by spending 20 minutes on each portion and then jumps to the next. 'Working all the small bolts, keys, pins, etc. where I believe it must be' - I think it is a kind of 'elimination process' to see what is left behind and then see where to stick the 'extra's' somewhere.
    If carrying on like this there may be enough 'leftovers' for another lathe! .
    Sorry to hear about your SB battle but I also had to ask a George engineering shop to make two gears and will pick it up on Thursday.
    I actually have a whole base for a bandsaw as well as the hinges. If you look at my post about tube benders you will see that I converted my bandsaw to a permanent vertical bandsaw and loving it. I find the bulk of my work fits in this small envelope.But those 4x6 bandsaws are really useful.I fortunately have another one as well as a bigger one.Have you got bronze bearings in your headstock or are they cast iron bearings or are they actual bearings?

    Looks like Glenvista is a pretty place.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •