Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Call into the Universe

Plunger, apology for not answering all your questions.
    I have one bronze bush in the headstock of which I don't know where it goes. I can't find your post about 'tube benders' - maybe I am really a 'lunatic' as been said. I also thought about removing the saw from the base and mount against the wall with a sliding mechanism bringing it outwards when working. I have only two real big bearings on the 'main shaft' and the rest should be something else?? The part that is broken/missing is one of the leavers on the left-hand bottom side adjusting the speed of the turning shaft.
    Will you mind if I send you a couple of photos/close-ups of my problems? On the site or private?

Really like the site and members a lot but I believe my 'humoristic' start was one heavy mistake. Wonder what happened during WW1 when the Allied forces fought together? My father and his brother served in Egypt and Italy.
    Yes, Glentana is a very nice and quiet place and God is good to me.
    Thanks

White wax

Quote Originally Posted by Witwaks View Post
    Really like the site and members a lot but I believe my 'humoristic' start was one heavy mistake. Wonder what happened during WW1 when the Allied forces fought together? My father and his brother served in Egypt and Italy.
    Thanks

White wax
    Nah, your first post wasn't a "heavy mistake", just a bit odd. I bet 99% of the members who read it kinda shrugged and moved on.

There are some members here, as everywhere on the internet, who get pissy if someone violates the "rules", which often exist mostly in their pissy little heads.

Relax and welcome aboard!

-js

EDIT: please note my signature line. :-)
    Last edited by Jim Stewart; 10-08-2019 at 09:13 PM.
    There are no stupid questions. But there are lots of stupid answers. This is the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Witwaks View Post
    Plunger, apology for not answering all your questions.
    I have one bronze bush in the headstock of which I don't know where it goes. I can't find your post about 'tube benders' - maybe I am really a 'lunatic' as been said. I also thought about removing the saw from the base and mount against the wall with a sliding mechanism bringing it outwards when working. I have only two real big bearings on the 'main shaft' and the rest should be something else?? The part that is broken/missing is one of the leavers on the left-hand bottom side adjusting the speed of the turning shaft.
    Will you mind if I send you a couple of photos/close-ups of my problems? On the site or private?

Thanks

White wax
    I would suggest sending the pics to the forum.Southbends are dime a dozen in the States.The lathe we are busy with is at my mates house so it is difficult for me to assist .Ours does not have a quick change gearbox.Those broken parts look to be selector gears for your quickchange gearbox.
    I wonder if your bed is a hardened bed ?Do you think you may have lost stuff in the move or do you think you have everything.

Well, if you love music you could be a friend of mine- and unless I missed it, you missed it (HELP! da beatles) I guess you already know, but short of having the manual you may have to reinvent the machine yourself. You've already alluded to the problem area being where do certain bushings, washers, spacers, -go. I'm sure you'll get the advice you need, at least from a manual for a very similar machine that someone will post. First let me say good luck in at least finding all the parts for it, even if you don't have the assembly information.

You guys from S Africa, your country has meant something to me, as I lived there for a while. I did become a citizen of Rhodesia, though I don't know if that status still applies to me. Co-incidently, we were there doing concerts, festivals, dances, etc, and ran a night club for a few nights each week. All of us worked day jobs too. I could tell a few stories-

You do realize that after you get your lathe back together, you will have to 'level' it
    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Just caught up with this thread. Yeah, the subject title was a bit odd, and the first post was strange, but rather clever as well. It's just not a good idea to introduce yourself in such an unusual way, but most of us try to be nice to newbies. I can't give you anything more than encouragement for your predicament. Welcome to the forum!

Willkommon.
    OP was great.
    I like off the wall characters and weirdos.
    Ignore the straights and the Anti-Fun Gestapo.
    Regards from NE Thailand.

Jim, thanks for your welcome words. While teaching at secondary school I always remind the 'newcomers' that they have been 'big frogs in a small pond' during their primary school years but now they are 'small frogs in a big pond'. When my first thread 'exploded' on the site I nearly had 'flashback emotions' like standing on the carpet of the headmaster the first day after breaking a window.

Don't want to mention it actually but I wrote a brand new post last night, with apologies, shortened and according to the rules but believe I made a mistake in posting it?

I am nearly done the assembling, not totally tightening bolts and nuts now but will ask the guys when coming to challenges.

Thanks a lot

Thanks a lot.
    Have been to Thailand two times and had a lot of fun.

Thanks, Darryl. Yes, I missed it with the Beatles.
    You are correct and it is amazing how the human mind can adapt to challenges realizing 'A human being build this thing and a human being can fix/repair it'. In fact, I am a bit proud today looking back at what I achieved and the lesser load of 'willing bolts and nuts' still in the spares buckets waiting to be fitted. I downloaded an article about 'leveling' a lathe and I even welded some nuts to gussets with holes at the bottom of each bench leg to adjust the level with bolts. The tray of the lathe also has four tightening bolts and nuts to the bench and also four leveling bolts on each corner - will try my best.
    I don't think you will still have that status of being a Zimbabwe citizen. I have a lot of friends from there and they are all good and genuine people.

Thanks

Plunger,

The broken selector is on the quick-change gearbox and I am going to an engineering shop tomorrow to check if they can make/modify/repair it. I also do a bit aluminum castings and if it is too expensive to make a new one I surely will 'build' myself one with a steel skeleton and cast aluminum on the outside?? The lathe is 95% cast iron.

Most of the parts missing/broken can be rectified or solved but I lost one serious part.
    The part in the picture below with the RED circle is missing, don't know what it is called but it is an 'automatic feeder' on the side feeding rod. Can use the lathe for other things but can't cut threads without it.
    The GREEN circle is a 'holding lock' and I believe I can make one.
    The PURPLE circle is a turning wheel and I will try and search at a scrapyard or make one later.
    The WHITE circle is the broken selector????

Realize now I 'missed the boat' after the first 'thread' (1,200 views) and just thought one of the guys in the USA could direct me to a second hand one.

Sadly, if I can't repair the lathe I can't use it as a paperweight.

Thanks