Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: OT: New Ranger pickup impressions so far

I was excited when they came back out with the Ford Ranger... until I found it was a Ranger in name only. It is about as close to the discontinued Ranger as Chevy's Canyon/Colorado is to the discontinued S10/Sonoma. Atleast Chevy had the class and decency to rename their fake compact pickup.
    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Quote Originally Posted by J Tiers View Post
    OK, by test.... If the motor is allowed to stop in the driveway, and the key is turned as far as it will go, then the motor DOES NOT come on when the vehicle is put into "park". Alarms go off, and messages appear in the display, but the motor does not re-start.

So, yes, that does work to avoid another re-start, alarms etc notwithstanding. When the lever is put to park, then the key can be turned the rest of the way and removed..
    Doesn't your truck have a button on the dash to disable the auto start/stop?

Quote Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
    Doesn't your truck have a button on the dash to disable the auto start/stop?
    yes, see post #79

it cannot be disabled as a default, it is "on" by default. And I have no problem with that.

The issue is the unexpected restarts for seemingly unrelated actions.
    Last edited by J Tiers; 10-08-2019 at 07:24 PM.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Quote Originally Posted by J Tiers View Post
    yes, see post #79

it cannot be disabled as a default, it is "on" by default. And I have no problem with that.

The issue is the unexpected restarts for seemingly unrelated actions.
    Is it wired for trailer lights / brakes?

I'm finding this thread very interesting. I've been waiting seems like forever for Ford to bring back the Ranger. I bought a new Ranger in 2005. I dearly loved that truck. It was the first new vehicle that had most everything I wanted, and that I bought for me! It had cruise, 4wd, leather seats, and extended cab.
    My ranger died shortly after I retired in 2012 with 135k mi., though it gave me good service for 7 years driving 100 mi round trip daily to and from my job. I didn't maintain it as I should have and burnt a hole in #1 piston. The cost of repair was prohibitive on my meager pension. Thanks for the heads up on the current offering's short comings. I will look at all makes of small /medium pickups before deciding.
    Anyone test drive/own competitors offerings in the same class as the Ranger?

There are NONE of the new "small pickups" that are like their predecessors. Colorado is bigger than S10, Ranger is bigger than old one, it's the way it is. I'd have bought a newer version of the S10 if it was available in a reasonable size. Although the size is partly in the tire size and ground clearance. this has a lot more than the S10, and that had quite a bit.

I test drove the Colorado and Frontier. Hated them. My wife hated them, and she does not drive. Cabs were not comfortable, jump seat legroom was not very big, back seats were bulky and not removable.

This one has good room (for a not-a-crew-cab truck), and the seat bottoms are removable to allow good room behind the seats for luggage, tools, groceries or whatever. There is a sort of platform left, with the jack under it on left side and a storage compartment behind the passenger.

Felt immediately at home in this one. Must mean it was the closest to the old S10 of all the new-fangled trucks.

Quote Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
    Is it wired for trailer lights / brakes?
    Just a 4 pin connector standard. Towing capacity is up around 7k with full tow hitch. It has the one in the reinforced bumper standard, for which the 4 pin should be enough.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

I think their marketeers have been looking at those pictures posted earlier of overloaded pickups. I looked at the tech spec on the uk website for this thing and the second most important thing they wanted to tell me was that it has tie down hooks, then the third most important thing was rope hooks. So no excuses!
    Then the rest of the really really important things I apparently needed to know was the colour of bits and the heated mirrors.
    It seems when buying a pickup nowadays I do not want to know the load capacity, load volume, engine size, HP, mpg, 4wd drive options etc.
    But OMG I can't think of buying one, as unlike the saloons they forgot to headline that vital specification - [I]the number of cup holders.[/I]

Looks like the military is going to use the new Ranger.
    https://www.foxnews.com/auto/ford-ra...ickup-military

Using a European spec Ranger, which is similar to the U.S. version, but with different chassis specifications and drivetrains, Ricardo added a full roll cage equipped with an integrated weapons mount; ballistic glass and floor protection; and heavy-duty bumpers, skid plates and side steps.
    Looks like it's ready for the commute home.

I'll bet it doesn't have too many annoying features.
    Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
    Bad Decisions Make Good Stories

It would have to be a modified euro version, because it has to run on JP8.

I assume the euro version is diesel.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan