Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: New Ranger pickup impressions so far

I love cruise control that matches the speed of the car in front of you. I think that feature comes with collision avoidance as it uses the same sensors, system. Have you tried that yet, or checked if you have it?

It looks like TH is a European distributor for DAF, Iveco, Ford, and DongFeng:

https://www.th-group.eu/en/trucks/brands

The top rated compact pickup truck is a Honda Ridgeline, followed closely by the Ford Ranger:

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/rankings/trucks

Other ratings:

https://www.carmax.com/articles/best-small-trucks

https://consumerguide.com/best-buys/...-pickup-truck/

https://2019trucks.com/best-small-co...cks-2018-2019/

https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...pickup-trucks/

I'll just try to keep my 1989 Toyota 4WD pickup until the wheels fall off

Quote Originally Posted by PStechPaul View Post
    It looks like TH is a European distributor for DAF, Iveco, Ford, and DongFeng:
    TH in thaiguzzi's post means Thailand

Pickups are more common in Thailand than hill-billy-est area of Texas
    The pickups are also loaded beyond your wildest(or scariest) dreams:

Those loads actually look like they are strapped down better than some of the loads on pickups and trailers around here...

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    Honestly Andy, power steering and brakes...on a Civic no less?
    I know right. Thats why I got it and am keeping it (until it rusts apart).
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by RB211 View Post
    I love cruise control that matches the speed of the car in front of you. I think that feature comes with collision avoidance as it uses the same sensors, system. Have you tried that yet, or checked if you have it?
    I hate this feature. When I drive I try to maximize distance between my car and others. Fewer interactions and greater distance mean less chance for a mishap. I kept wondering why drivers would stick on my rear even as I would try to gain some distance. Finally figured out they must be using the cruise with sensor. They are not trying to be rude, just lazy. It's not my responsibility to control the speed of your car.

I can see it being useful in traffic but out on the open road with little traffic? Please stop doing this.

Rant over.

Quote Originally Posted by thaiguzzi View Post
    Every mid size pick up truck you can think of is made here (bar VW and Merc), and everyone of them is diesel.
    There are no (Praise the Lord) petrol engines available for pick ups and most mid size SUV's.

Damn I like that --- I would love a little 4 banger turbo diesel stuffed into a semi-modern taco, if I could find that around here I would get another pick-up

Quote Originally Posted by strokersix View Post
    I hate this feature. When I drive I try to maximize distance between my car and others. Fewer interactions and greater distance mean less chance for a mishap. I kept wondering why drivers would stick on my rear even as I would try to gain some distance. Finally figured out they must be using the cruise with sensor. They are not trying to be rude, just lazy. It's not my responsibility to control the speed of your car.

I can see it being useful in traffic but out on the open road with little traffic? Please stop doing this.

Rant over.
    haha, tailgaters have been around loong time before invention of adaptive cruise control. Many people seem to match the speed to car in front of them irregardless of speed..

--
    Adaptive cruise control on Ford Focus(sedan) works really well and the distance it keeps is pretty good. Set on maximum distance and the gap is about 3-4x larger than average on morning busy hours.. which means that you have to set the distance to smallest setting or otherwise there is someone cutting in front of you all the time.

So far, I have also noticed that a LOT of things trigger the motor restart after a stop.....

Putting it in park triggers restart.

Opening a door triggers a restart

One of the buttons controlling the display triggered a restart, do not recall which one, but none of them oughtta. EDIT: Actually, I think it was turning on the vent fan.....weird.

And while the sticker announces the vehicle has that "precollision warning", it still has not activated, (edit) and I have tried to set it off.... I have not found the sensor that is supposed to be on the front just below the bumper. It might have been left off?????

Can't blame this on lazy Thais or chinese, this thing was built in Michigan by (mostly) UAW workers.

Quote Originally Posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
    Cool down man - nothing lasts forever...
    Who was that for?
    Last edited by J Tiers; 10-07-2019 at 12:04 PM.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Have fun with the Ranger! I too prefer older tech, but my 82-yr old Dad has my respect for learning all the features of his Subaru. I wouldn't have had the patience for all the electronics, I greatly prefer Detroit around 1970....