Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: New Ranger pickup impressions so far

Quote Originally Posted by J Tiers View Post

Can't blame this on lazy Thais or chinese, this thing was built in Michigan by (mostly) UAW workers.
    cuz if there's one thing about UAW workers it's that their not lazy lol

Who was that for?
    it was a joke - just roll with it...

Quote Originally Posted by dave_r View Post
    Those loads actually look like they are strapped down better than some of the loads on pickups and trailers around here...
    I was about to say the same You're lucky to see one piece of string being used to secure a load. If I'm in a car I have to overtake pickups with poorly secured loads as I've had a couple of pieces fly out at me before.

I think whats the most scariest is the hillbilly rednecks carrying around plywood that's flopping around and about to turn into a kite,,, that will remedy the tailgaters real quick when one of them pieces goes through their windshield and decapitates them.... last thought would be - damn shoulder belt --- I can't seem to duck in time...

Toyota pickups are really reliable. We used them in a business in Texas and they never give us problems. I have a Toyota Hilux here in Germany and it has been perfect. And it doesn't have all that electronic crap you all are talking about. A nice 6 cylinder diesel that gets pretty good mileage and pulls our two horse trailer with zero problems.
    How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

So far, I have also noticed that a LOT of things trigger the motor restart after a stop.....

Putting it in park triggers restart.

Opening a door triggers a restart

One of the buttons controlling the display triggered a restart, do not recall which one, but none of them oughtta. EDIT: Actually, I think it was turning on the vent fan.....weird.
    If worse comes to worse you can buy devices that totally eliminate the start/stop "feature". There are kits available that are hardwired into the vehicle and also small modules that plug into the OBD II port that will reprogram your ECU in order to defeat the start/stop annoyance. They are reversible for the most part, but check to make sure the unit is indeed reversible before you commit to the purchase or hack.
    I believe the kits that are hardwired into the vehicle are the lowest cost option and I'm sure you can handle that process, but expect to pay $40-$150 depending on the source and type of solution you are after.
    These remedies have been available since the inception of this new "feature" so obviously you are not alone .
    Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
    Bad Decisions Make Good Stories

Quote Originally Posted by Black Forest View Post
    Toyota pickups are really reliable. We used them in a business in Texas and they never give us problems. I have a Toyota Hilux here in Germany and it has been perfect. And it doesn't have all that electronic crap you all are talking about. A nice 6 cylinder diesel that gets pretty good mileage and pulls our two horse trailer with zero problems.
    Oh how I wish those options were available here. I'd be in line tomorrow for one of those.

Many years ago Toyota, Datsun/Nissan, and Mitsubishi all had small diesel powered trucks available here. However the market dried up due to everyone needing an 8,000 lb. dually one ton truck in order to pick up groceries.

I actually had a 1985 Mitsubishi with a 2.5 L turbo diesel 5 spd. What I wouldn't give to be able to buy that truck again, just the way she was in '85.

Europeans are not obsessed with "connected everything".... and have less interest in gew-gaws. Plus they like manual shift, as I do. But I do NOT like diesels in general. Dirty carcinogenic noisy engines, efficiency or no efficiency. Diesel is significantly higher cost much of the time around here, too, reducing or even eliminating the mileage improvement. The improvement is to some degree illusory, since it is largely due to the nutty way fuel is sold, by volume. Diesel has more energy per unit volume AND is denser, so some of the difference is based on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    If worse comes to worse you can buy devices that totally eliminate the start/stop "feature". There are kits available that are hardwired into the vehicle and also small modules that plug into the OBD II port that will reprogram your ECU in order to defeat the start/stop annoyance. They are reversible for the most part, but check to make sure the unit is indeed reversible before you commit to the purchase or hack.
    I believe the kits that are hardwired into the vehicle are the lowest cost option and I'm sure you can handle that process, but expect to pay $40-$150 depending on the source and type of solution you are after.
    These remedies have been available since the inception of this new "feature" so obviously you are not alone .
    I do not mind the feature, I just think that there is something amiss when unrelated things trigger a restart when one does not need it and it is not expected. Who expects the motor to restart when the door opens? Who would WANT that? And if they did, why? Dumping bodies in the desert?
    Last edited by J Tiers; 10-07-2019 at 01:48 PM.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Europeans are not obsessed with "connected everything".... and have less interest in gew-gaws. Plus they like manual shift, as I do. But I do NOT like diesels in general. Dirty carcinogenic noisy engines, efficiency or no efficiency. Diesel is significantly higher cost much of the time around here, too, reducing or even eliminating the mileage improvement. The improvement is to some degree illusory, since it is largely due to the nutty way fuel is sold, by volume. Diesel has more energy per unit volume AND is denser, so some of the difference is based on that.

I do not mind the feature, I just think that there is something amiss when unrelated things trigger a restart when one does not need it and it is not expected. Who expects the motor to restart when the door opens? Who would WANT that? And if they did, why? Dumping bodies in the desert?

Agreed, hard to find the logic in that. When my doors are open the last thing I need is the engine running. I had no idea that it was that all encompassing.

Nahhh - the newer ones use pulse control injection and it's a game changer noise wise esp. just sitting there idling,,, we got a duramax at the shop and it really does sound like a gasser at idle and all hell don't break loose driving it either - although it can in a different way when you tromp on it, things got huge balls

and they have gotten cleaner due to pulse control, I for one luv the smell and actually think it's good for both your body and mind - possibly even save your soul when judgment day comes too...

best situation would be a little 2.4 liter turbo diesel in about a 2000 taco with a 5 speed... done deal...

Electronics is the worst thing that ever happened to vehicles. 84 Riviera had electronic mixture control that never worked right. 85 ElCamino had TBFI, that kinda worked, 2000 Cadillac crank position sensors would kill the engine at the worst times in traffic, 2007 Silverado has to have the headlights on in order to light the Instrument panel enough to see the numbers, and the nimrods at the dealership say there is nothing wrong with it. ave to keep an old baseball cap on the dash to cover the sensor so the truck think it's dark outside.
    “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard