Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Led bulb for t8 lights

Default Led bulb for t8 lights

I just received a bunch of 3 bulb t8 fixtures the ballast are 277 volt. I want to eliminate the ballast and direct wire led bulbs.
    What’s the latest and greatest t8 replacement led bulbs for shop use?
    I need 30 or so bulbs.

I like Hyperikon and used them to replace all my flourescents starting a few years ago. Between residences and work, I, probably, replaced a couple of hundreds of them. No complaints so far.

Here are the ones I use: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00S5O83BG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ,

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I used both, ballast compartible and bypass types. The former were used with ballast for a few years, but, finally, I removed ballasts in all my fixtures, so both types are used without ballasts.
    Last edited by MichaelP; 10-07-2019 at 01:27 AM.

Two or three years ago I replaced about 39 fluorescent bulbs in my home and shop with LEDs. Like you, I wanted the best efficiency so I also removed the ballasts. The bulbs are connected directly to the 115V that was wired to those fixtures. If you remove the ballasts, then you can use 115V LED bulbs and you will get the greatest efficiency.

I purchased Sunco bulbs on Amazon. I was replacing T12 bulbs, but with direct wiring to 115V, I don't think the T8/T12 thing makes any difference. If the bulbs fit the fixture, they will work. T8 and T12 sockets are the same. It is only the bulb diameter that is different.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=sunco+lig...b_sb_ss_fb_1_6

They were a little more expensive than the local lumber yard bulbs, but I have not had a single problem since installing them. One more thing, in many fixtures I was able to replace four bulbs with just three LEDs and the light was better. They were Win! Win! WIN!

One thing to watch out for when direct wiring the LED bulbs: they are made with different wiring connections. Mine are powered with one wire to each end of the bulbs. But others are made to be powered with both wires to one end. You can wire the fixtures for both types, but you have to think about it first. Kind of a Hot-Neutral on one end and Neutral-Hot on the other, if you know what I mean. That would work with both types that I have seen.
    Last edited by Paul Alciatore; 10-07-2019 at 03:04 AM.
    Paul A.

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

I also am considering changing out to LED's but am confused by LED claims. The implication is that LED somehow puts out more light. For example the LED's in Paul's note say 18W=40W fluorescent. and that 2 fluorescent tubes do the job of 1 LED tube! Now according to there spec sheet they have a 5000K daylight rating of 2200 lumens. Now the T8 5000K 32W fluorescent's that I use have 2600 lumens. So in my 4 bulb fixture I get 1600 fewer lumens with LED or 15% less light output. I certainly agree that there is less power used, but I also get less light. Unless LED's have some different light output factor that I do not understand.

My shop is 18 x 34 and I have 10 four bulb fixtures providing 104,000 lumens, with LED's it would 88,000 Lumens. To keep the same light level I would need to about 6 additional LED bulbs. Even adding the extra bulbs I would still net a 38% power savings so it is still a good thing. If I actually could do what is claimed in the advertisement ie 2 to 1, the savings would be huge.

Just confused

Bob

Maybe I just do not understand light output.

Bob

Bob,

You're not confused, but while T8 light is omnidirectional, the LED tubes are unidirectional: they concentrate all the produced light in a much more narrow beam.

T8 produces more light (lumens), but a lot of it gets lost/unused. Therefore the illuminance (lux=lumens per sq.meter) will not be as great as it could be if T8 were unidirectional.

So although T8 emits more light, your shop items will be better or equally illuminated with the LED replacements.
    Last edited by MichaelP; 10-07-2019 at 07:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
    . . .T8 and T12 sockets are the same. . .
    They might be the same. T8 HO tubes, used mainly in commercial/industrial settings have a very different socket, called an R17D.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelP View Post
    Bob,

You're not confused, but while T8 light is omnidirectional, the LED tubes are unidirectional: they concentrate all the produced light in a much more narrow beam.

T8 produces more light (lumens), but a lot of it gets lost/unused. Therefore the illuminance (lux=lumens per sq.meter) will not be as great as it could be if T8 were unidirectional.

So although T8 emits more light, your shop items will be better or equally illuminated with the LED replacements.
    Don't count on it. Nearly all T8 fixtures have reflectors and/or diffusers and most of the 360deg illumination is re-directed downward. The LED replacements use no reflector internally, and as you mentioned, the light is all directed downward thereby negating 80% of the effect of an existing reflector.

I'm speaking from my own experience retrofitting three buildings with 120 8' lamps. If you buy the HO equivalent output in LED lamps, the energy savings drops dramatically. If the intended use is a home shop with low ceilings then it will probably work. If high-bay, you're going to end up with less light.

I recently put in LED lamps in existing old "Lights of America" shop lights. These were ones that can use the existing ballast, which is not a big one but a small E-I core plus a capacitor in the LOA lights.

I used lamps from Menards, and the amount of light is absolutely blinding compared to the T12 originals. The lamps used are compatible with either.

Yes, light is generally directed down, but there is enough going to the sides that areas which were previously darker are now decently lit. As I usually do, I used one 3000K and one 5000K in each fixture. That gives better balanced light IMO.

I may try it on plant lights also. The "gro-light" equivalents are not highly rated by gardening mags, and I have always used a :cool white" and a "warm white" together in each fixture for plants. The 3000K is a bit more blue than the warm white, but may work. Plants use a good deal of the infrared from the sun, so the long wavelength light is useful and important.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

I used these by Rayon Led in several fixtures, direct wired, toss the ballast. I'm very satisfied with them.

https://rayonled.com/en/indoor/led-tube/TUA.html

I replaced all the T8 bulbs in my shop with Toggled. You can get them 120-277 volts. They are certainly not "unidirectional" and light the shop better than the T8's in my opinion. They are not temperature dependent so I don't have to wait for them to warm up and produce full output in the winter. Another plus for me as a ham radio operator is they spew way less RF than the T8 electronic ballasts. Oh and they use a fraction of the electricity.

https://www.amazon.com/TOGGLED-E416-...%2C215&sr=8-16

Tom

Thanks for the help so far, a bit confusion to me, I just want to make sure I get the right bulbs.
    What do you think about this? https://www.amazon.com/Parmida-LED-E...s%2C244&sr=8-5