Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: More sensible vise selection advise please!

Default More sensible vise selection advise please!

Hi all. Spending my "holiday" sitting in the hospital with my son on a drip. Should have flown home two days ago already. Trying to pass the time with some retail therapy.

My track history of selecting milling vises is....poor, to say the least. Obviously bigger is better....until it's too high and you can't get many cutters over it etc. The swivel and tilt were clearly essential before I did much actual milling. Bought a 4" Kurt style vise but got over keen and it's really too big for my 390x100mm table. Hence why this time I'm asking for your opinions before I screw it up again

Currently looking at either this 75mm Soba screwless

Or this 70mm screwless

First one has larger opening capacity and slightly deeper jaws but hold-down points are at the ends so it would either have to be mounted along the table or try to make hold-down clamps that fit the round holes (2nd vise has clamping slots on sides) and hope it doesn't foul the jaw clamping pin. I have a lathe and 4-jaw so I could make such hold-downs but don't want to be constantly fighting which holes are useable any time I change the jaw opening.
    Not sure if that's a problem or not. Also not really sure what effect turning the vise by 90 would have if any. Would it be more likely to move if feeding using the (longer) X axis because of that orientation or am I overthinking it (again)?

Thanks all,
    Gareth

The Arc Euro Trade one is the one you can easily move the jaws on, I have the 90mm version, though never used yet because of... issues with the milling machine. The Soba one looks like the pin has to be knocked out the side to change the jaw depth?

I suspect that those holes have been cut in half where the pin rides - similar to the Arc version. Definitely worth confirming before purchase though as that would definitely outweigh any other benefits. Good point, cheers.

Definetly recommend the one from Arceuro, I have a number of them myself and used the 90mm for years as my main milling vise.

The slots on the side make it easy to clamp them properly to the table and the screw-arrangement for the moveable jaw is spring loaded, so its easier to adjust and not as floppy as those without the springs.

Personaly I cant stand vises that are setup lengthwise on the table, but thats just me

Stefan

Well, what sort of (wannabe-) machinist would I be if I don't listen to the recommendations and preferences of a man who machines carbide for fun?! :-D

Arc are good to deal with too - although I've had no problems with Chronos.

When I got my mill a few months ago and was looking for a vice, thought if it was good enough for Stefan ... no complaints with the 70mm from Arc on my 660x150mm mill.

Screwless vises are really intended for grinding. They're not designed to clamp with enough force to handle milling, although I know some people use them that way.

Taylor your cutting parameters to suit the vise holding capacity. I have a Kurt clone on my BP without the swivel base. My RF45 has a screwless vise. I am happy with both. When selecting screwless vise pick one that has clamping slots down the entire side.
    Last edited by Illinoyance; 10-08-2019 at 05:30 PM.

Thanks guys. I think the Arc wins it then.
    Forest Gnome: I've no doubt you're right but I suspect that won't be an issue for the power of the mill I'm running - it's only 500W. My main issue has been that because the tilt and swivel vise is so high (relatively speaking) the table is not rigid enough to counter the additional leverage it creates. This means my DoC is rather limited to making the most insidious splinters rather than proper chips. Maybe this will be too far the other way but I suspect not and the lower profile will be a definite bonus. Before you ask, I do clamp things directly to the table but there are times it isn't appropriate...or, let's be honest here, when you just plain can't be bothered.

I have the 70mm ArcEuro style vise, and I was surprised at the high quality -- everything measured square and parallel to ~6 micron. The screw was a bit stiff (maybe a bit too large?) that was my only complaint. For the price its great deal.