Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OT: Ikea drinking glass tested in hydraulic press

too bad Ikea does not make replacement visible gas pump cylinders. at their pricing levels.

After busting up a combination of rocks, bricks, cinderblocks, and concrete over the last couple of days, I found the compression failure of bricks and concrete quite interesting:

Quote Originally Posted by wierdscience View Post
    This, If the press had a self adjusting pad like the pad on a C-clamp on the top along with a dense cushion like you say,maybe HDPE or something the result would probably be even higher tonnage.

I think the uneven loading explains the variance in the first two results even though the glasses are virtually identical in shape.
    Cushion would be good but suitable material at this force is something else than HDPE. Like steel for example..
    22 tons to rim with maybe about 1sqin surface is nothing but a hole punch for HDPE.
    48000 lbs per one square inch is above yield strength of most ordinary steel grades!

Those weaker cups etc would have probably benefited from softer contact patch.

---
    Wooden ikea chair/stool was also able to handle nearly 10 tons

Quote Originally Posted by MattiJ View Post
    Cushion would be good but suitable material at this force is something else than HDPE. Like steel for example..
    22 tons to rim with maybe about 1sqin surface is nothing but a hole punch for HDPE.
    48000 lbs per one square inch is above yield strength of most ordinary steel grades!

Those weaker cups etc would have probably benefited from softer contact patch.

---
    Wooden ikea chair/stool was also able to handle nearly 10 tons
    The HDPE pad would go under the bottom and only need to reduce point loading. If the bottom of the glass was 3-1/2" round that's 48,000/9.62 inches area= 4989 psi. HDPE will handle 6500 psi briefly before it starts to extrude.

If an Ikea chair can handle 10 tons, just imagine what a good chair could hold
    Last edited by wierdscience; 10-09-2019 at 02:18 AM.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

At a place I worked, we used to sometimes go to a nearby tavern for lunch. We didn't go there for the classy décor, like the sets of knife, fork and spoon wrapped in paper napkin standing in the scratched and dull tempered drinking glass in the center of the table.

We sat down, ordered and were served. A latecomer sat down, the waiter took his order and came back with more cutlery and plopped it with a flourish into the glass.

The glass didn't break. It exploded, imploded or whatever it is that tempered drinking glasses do when they retire from service, showering us and our freshly served plates with small, chunky, almost identically sized shards of glass.
    Last edited by cameron; 10-09-2019 at 11:30 AM.

That was fun. Popping things with pressure is always entertaining.

After I made my hand pump 50T press I was squishing things from all over my garage JR
    My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Quote Originally Posted by wierdscience View Post
    The HDPE pad would go under the bottom and only need to reduce point loading. If the bottom of the glass was 3-1/2" round that's 48,000/9.62 inches area= 4989 psi. HDPE will handle 6500 psi briefly before it starts to extrude.
    Or the squishy HDPE would distribute the load to the entire glass bottom, causing bending loads on the bottom and possible early failure. (albeit the bottom of these ikea glasses is super thick)
    You would practically have 2.5" dia and 3/8" thick glass window loaded with 5000 PSI. I think its about 10 times more than glass window of that size can handle.

Maybe I have to ask if Lauri&Anni would do HSM special

Continuation of above:
    https://www.momentive.com/en-us/categories/quartz/tools

2.5" dia and 1/2" thick glass window can handle only about 130 PSI with safety factors. Assuming that the calculator uses safety factor of 10 the glass bottom would rupture at 1500PSI

Unlike steel glass is very strong in compression (>150KPSI)but weak in tension(1-10KPSI) so whatever improvements you would want to do it should make sure that you keep the glass in compression. Maybe a collar over the glass mouth to keep it from spreading outwards.