Thread: Grinding Wheels And Paper Blotters

Default Grinding Wheels And Paper Blotters

Every grinding wheel I ever bought be it for my SG, T&C grinder or bench grinder always had a blotter on each side.

I have an older Norton 6" x 1 1/4" arbor hole x 1/8" wide wheel that doesn't. I've used it before on both my grinders without any issues.
    I just pulled it out of the cabinet today and was going to mount it on my SG and was thinking....... should this wheel have blotters??

Is there any reason for this particular wheel not to come with them?? because of the width etc. Should I make a couple for it??

JL................

I'd say YES. I can't imagine a grinding wheel without the blotters. to distribute the clamping forces from the washers.
    ...lew...

I've got a few old worn wheels like that that came with my SG. They need those paper disks for a better grip to the arbor so I'm told. I made mine from filing cabinet folders.

Hi,

Back in the day it was not unusual to get a new wheel that the blotters weren't glued to wheel. They were packed separately in the box. So if you dismounted the, you could lose the blotters if they fell off.

Will it work to run the wheel without the paper? Yep, but it's not a good idea as already mentioned. Just cut two cookies out of some light cardboard and use those.
    If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

I would think the slight cushioning effect from the blotters would also serve to prevent cracking the wheel from the clamping pressure, and may have been part of the original rationale for their presence. Lew's comment above sort of implied that, I think.

You want them. Even a couple layers of blue shop towel. Spreads the force over the rough surface, and lets the wheel mount drive it well without a heavy clamping force.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

OK, thanks everybody for the info. I'll make some out of so suitable material.
    Come to think of it I did get a grinding wheel one that came with to rough cut paper blotters, but it wasn't the wheel in question.

JL...............