Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How many things can be done wrong?

Default How many things can be done wrong?

but look under the stairs at about 32:00...... if you can't stand the rest of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9s2iZ7HrQX8

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Haven't watched all of it yet. Just the breaking down of all the parts. The use of the planetary gearing for the back gear was highly interesting.

A few things I might or might not have done different to what he did. I try not to use much force on punches if I can avoid it. But if it only took fairly moderate love taps to push things apart I'd likely have done just what he did. Once things are burred like I saw and one cannot get a press or bearing puller into play there's not much else to be done.

One thing done wrong at about 31:40.... There are a few more.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

I watched about 5 minutes, and then from 28:00 to the end. Didn't see any glaring wrongs, and I couldn't see anything odd under the stairs. Seemed like a pretty good job, although the guy is goofy

Are you referring to the metal planer / shaper ?

Good eye, I didn't watch that one all the way through, soon as I saw which lathe he was rebuilding I clicked off. That is the wrong model Atlas/Craftsman lathe to spend time rebuilding IMO.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Perhaps not the best lathe ever. But some folks just like fixing stuff like this. And if I came across one I think I'd do it up about the same and see how it worked out of a sense of history and a sense of curiosity to see what it's strong and weak.... er…. weak and weaker points were.

Anyway you cut it I'd say it's likely to be no worse than a Unimat SL. I had the dubious pleasure of running one for a few small pieces. And it was a dubious treat at best in terms of working any sort of steel items.

Yeah, the planer

Th error just before that is the locking screw on the back gear plunger. AFAIR that is supposed to have a spring and ball latch, which is why there are indents on the shaft of the plunger. I had one of those useless machines a long time ago. I actually got work out of it, and a POS like that is really good for learning how to work with less than perfect machines.

The biggest mistake of all is messing with one of those to begin with, but they have sold for up to $600, which is as much as I paid for a good Logan, which is actually a useful machine. But there were all sorts of small things dotted through the video that I spotted. I was just waiting for a phone call, did not want to get into anything in the shop, basically wasting time.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

I read the title and the first thing i thought was "everything you can think of, plus several things you cant, when presented with a sufficiently motivated idiot". Working facilities maintenance has jaded me somewhat...

Anyone got a youtube account that could just put up a comment to say forget the lathe crap and put up some pictures of the planer. Plus ask him no to try to 'restore' it.