Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How many things can be done wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    Anyone got a youtube account that could just put up a comment to say forget the lathe crap and put up some pictures of the planer. Plus ask him no to try to 'restore' it.
    My thoughts exactly! Someone rescue the planer, quick!

Default Instead of BITCHING !

Quote Originally Posted by J Tiers View Post
    but look under the stairs at about 32:00...... if you can't stand the rest of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9s2iZ7HrQX8
    Why not just E mail the fellow and give a few hints.? Have none of you EVER done anything which you later found could have been done better.
    Regards David Powell.

Instead of BITCHING ? We're old people, that's what we do. We bitch when someone's tools are newer than ours. We bitch when the tools are older than ours. We bitch when they paid more and we bitch when they paid less. Especially less. Look through the threads. We're old people.

I tried to mention something to somebody once. I thought I was kind as well as concerned. I got my UgotTubed account deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by David Powell View Post
    Why not just E mail the fellow and give a few hints.? Have none of you EVER done anything which you later found could have been done better.
    Regards David Powell.
    I have messed up more than you can think of.... One biggie was buying one of those AA / 109 things.... although I DID double my money when I sold it. I already 'fessed up to that, and I suspect others could as well.

The issue with that guy is that the information needed to avoid screwups is on-line, for free. Manuals are available on-line, with parts breakdowns that would show everything. It's not hard, the guy knows how to use the internet. At least the Trabant repair guy has found manuals for what he works on. I can respect that.

Seriously, do you just tear into stuff without bothering to see if any info is on-line? EDIT: And do you then assume that whatever is being used in the machine now is the correct part for function? I sure do not, I nearly always find some "Bubba repair" that needs to be brought back to standard in order for things to work right.

OK, it's just "entertainment", but for sure, it is leading people astray when no particular attempt is made to fix what's wrong...... No wonder we see so many "rustoleum overhauls" for sale.

it's not that important to me, I would never have mentioned it here, except for that planer, that someone needs to save from "well-meaning destruction". I thought that nice small planer was worth a mention.
    Last edited by J Tiers; 10-09-2019 at 05:55 PM.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

I have messed up more than you can think of....

it's not that important to me, I would never have mentioned it here, except for that planer, that someone needs to save from "well-meaning destruction". I thought that nice small planer was worth a mention.
    If this is true then why did you not title the thread "neat planer" instead of going for drama raising leadin you did?

lg
    no neat sig line

Quote Originally Posted by larry_g View Post
    If this is true then why did you not title the thread "neat planer" instead of going for drama raising leadin you did?

lg
    no neat sig line
    You kind of need the video as a set-up before seeing the neat old planer.... a kind of odd contrast.

Here is this somewhat clueless guy and he has this old planer that many of us would like to have and would use, but he is not too sharp, and does not seem to have used the planer, it appears to be just sitting there not belted up.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

I think it [I]is[I] belted up. Look at the picture again, theres a narrow brown strip between the 2 shiny pullys that I think is the belt. Also the pullies are very shiny suggesting that he does use it regularly.
    'It may not always be the best policy to do what is best technically, but those responsible for policy can never form a right judgement without knowledge of what is right technically' - 'Dutch' Kindelberger

I have messed up more than you can think of.... One biggie was buying one of those AA / 109 things.... although I DID double my money when I sold it. ]
    So even when you were wrong you were still right. "I thought I was miskaken once once back in '89, but it turns out I was wrong"

I thought you were busy? How do you have time to watch 30 minutes into a video of someone you have nothing good to say about?

took a rusted dirty machine and made a usefull tool out of it. so what is wrong with that? no it is not a south-bend of a logon but way better then no lathe at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcgyver View Post
    So even when you were wrong you were still right. "I thought I was miskaken once once back in '89, but it turns out I was wrong"

I thought you were busy? How do you have time to watch 30 minutes into a video of someone you have nothing good to say about?
    I was, and was out of town. Now I am back waiting on a lot of stuff with family business, and on the comp a lot researching and communicating. SO

And who said it was you-all's biz what , how, and why?

Seems to be a lot of concern about someone by folks who think he is an annoying and obnoxious damn fool

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan