Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT Video editing

Default OT Video editing

I have tried dozens of these free ones and the trial versions of others and ALL of them go on and on about how easy it is to assemble the various bit and all the grand other crap that can be done with special effects. I can do that part with any of the ones BUT NONE of them seem to even mention the case of separating a 3 Gig file (from a VCR tape) into the dozen or so separate categories and naming them, saving them to a folder so they can be sorted as to subject so they can then be put together. There can be on one tape, for example; National Parks, family reunions, flower gardens, weather pictures, etc .
    So does anyone have a suggestion for a program that will be able to extract all these pieces and store them with suitable names and dates such as to be able to re-combine in like subject groups for then burning to DVDs?????
    Thanks for any ideas.
    ...Lew...

You're asking what's the right video editor- assuming that you're past the point of needing to get the information on the tape transferred to a workable computer file. VCR to computer is probably a pretty straightforward input card, and some of the supplied software does at least work to get the job done. From there, I'd sure like to have a decent program to work the files with. There are definitely better programs out there, free ones too, that easily outdo the software that comes with the Windows versions.
    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

The last time I ran into a similar problem, it was a 4 GB video file from a cam-corder. I found that the editing program that I used was reading the whole file into memory for speedy editing. Unfortunately, I only had 4 GB of RAM, so it did not work very well.

I chopped the file into 4 parts using the split(1) linux program*. Then I was able to edit each piece, marking the parts that I wanted to stitch together and saving them to disk for merging later.

The best solution is to find a video editing program that does not try to read the whole file into memory.

Dan

* There may be a windows program that splits files into equal parts .
    At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

I had a program called hi-split and hi-join, that seemed to work well for me.
    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

I have a program for video editing from Grass Valley called Edius Workgroup. It will do exactly what you want to do with folders and such. It isn't cheap but it is capable. It is used by TV stations for their news program video editing. Grass Valley being big in the TV station broadcast world.

They do have a trial version you could use I think. They have a lower level package also that will do what you want and it only costs a few hundred dollars I think. If this is a one time thing then the trials will work for you.

What computer system do you have for doing your video editing? Lots of memory is crucial.

Do you already have your VHS tapes captured to digital media as in a harddrive? That will be your first step.
    How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

I use my MacBook Pro, running MacOS, using Final Cut Pro X.
    Yes, I actually am recommending a Mac, and Final Cut Pro X...
    If you want to use Windows, people like Sony Vegas? for the price. Mac has no issues with file size. Fat32 file systems have issues. So either switch to NTFS or what ever Mac uses.
    It is super duper easy to take your giant multi gig source file in Final Cut Pro X in the project file and pull snippets off of it and drop them onto the time line.
    My old 2013 MacBook pro has no issues editing 4k source files. I plug in an external HD for storing all my source files.

"...separating a 3 Gig file (from a VCR tape) into the dozen or so separate categories and naming them, saving them to a folder so they can be sorted as to subject so they can then be put together."

A basic method of doing this would be to make a copy of the original file with Windows File Explorer and giving it a new name that reflects the part of it you are going to keep. You can also create a new folder for it and similar clips and put it in that folder. Then open it in any editor and cut off the material that is not part of the segment you are creating. This could be as easy as trimming the beginning and the end of the file. Then save what is left. Repeat this for each of the segments of the original file that you wish to save individually.

Of course this involves two programs, File Explorer and your editor. Most editors will allow you to copy parts of a video track to a new track and then saving that new track by a new file name. So you could disassemble a large file into segments totally within the one editing program. I would look for the more traditional editors that have their roots in the professional ones. Many of the "easy to use" ones that are promoted by the popular video platforms will make this more difficult. Look for things like a "time line" and the ability to make and use multiple tracks.

As for organization, that is probably totally up to you. Some of those popular editors may have this as a built in feature, but it is probably just creating file folders on your hard drive (or cloud) just as you can create them with File Explorer. And, if anything, using File Explorer yourself probably gives you more control. And you can probably mix the methods. The better, professionally based editors, will probably not have that feature as it is unnecessary and can be confusing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lew Hartswick View Post
    I have tried dozens of these free ones and the trial versions of others and ALL of them go on and on about how easy it is to assemble the various bit and all the grand other crap that can be done with special effects. I can do that part with any of the ones BUT NONE of them seem to even mention the case of separating a 3 Gig file (from a VCR tape) into the dozen or so separate categories and naming them, saving them to a folder so they can be sorted as to subject so they can then be put together. There can be on one tape, for example; National Parks, family reunions, flower gardens, weather pictures, etc .
    So does anyone have a suggestion for a program that will be able to extract all these pieces and store them with suitable names and dates such as to be able to re-combine in like subject groups for then burning to DVDs?????
    Thanks for any ideas.
    ...Lew...
    Paul A.

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Paul,
    Did you ever run into or use Edius in any of the TV stations where you worked?
    How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

BF, I looked into those TV ones WOW $$$$ Not for me . Thanks. :-)
    ...lew...
    PS Paul I can't find any thing called File Explorer on my pgms.
    ..lew..
    Last edited by Lew Hartswick; 10-11-2019 at 02:16 PM.

How many tapes do you have to do? Is it just one or many?