Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Irregular work piece vise

Default Irregular work piece vise

A few years ago I saw a vise in a catalog or ecommerce site with partial semicircular inserts for holding tapered or other irregular work pieces. One jaw had a single sliding semicircular insert and the other had two semicircular inserts, kind of like "[(| B]" . (I'm new to the forum and can't insert a drawing yet.) I recently had a use for one but was unable to recall or locate the original source. If anyone recognizes this, any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I know exactly the vise you are referring to. Unfortunately I can't remember the vendor's name. I do recall it is very spendy.

Seems you could easily roll your own. Make a vise jaw with some large (1"?) holes in it with a generous chamfer. Then get some 1.5" ball bearings and cut them in half. Put magnets inside those holes in the vise jaw to hold the hemispheres in place.
    Paul A.

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Not knowing the nature of your work piece I can't say this would fit your needs, but aluminum soft jaws machined to fit the part are one of the most used nonstandard vise holding methods in a production shop.
    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Mcgyver posted an awesome quick change jaw setup less than a year ago. It's on my list..

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/thr...72#post1210372

Quote Originally Posted by RBKirkpatrick View Post
    A few years ago I saw a vise in a catalog or ecommerce site with partial semicircular inserts for holding tapered or other irregular work pieces. One jaw had a single sliding semicircular insert and the other had two semicircular inserts, kind of like "[(| B]" . (I'm new to the forum and can't insert a drawing yet.) I recently had a use for one but was unable to recall or locate the original source. If anyone recognizes this, any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Welcome to HSM!

Would this little accessory be useful?

https://www.garrettwade.com/gyrojaw-...essory-gp.html

Here is another method to hold a tapered in one axis if it helps .

... Lew...

Holding oddball shapes have a wide variation in what works and what doesn't. Paul's advice about a sub jaw with a hole, or even a good chamfered depression and a half ball as a floating jaw is a great idea. For other things you might consider making a shallow "V" sub jaw so a lump shaped object is at least held by three spots instead of just two and just go easy with light cuts.

Another option is to "pot" the lump or odd shape with something that will harden but which can be broken away easily enough later on. It might be some epoxy or might be cast lead or even something like floor tile cement (which is pretty tough and durable after curing for a couple of days). This might give you enough of a saddle to support the odd looking item to allow machining details then break it away and clean up after.

I think you're referring to a Morton multi-vise. I bought one at auction last month, they're very nice little vises that come in handy once in a blue moon.
    Lee

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk