Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Irregular work piece vise

I had an offshore vise, red 4 in or 5 in.
    it had a regular back jaw, on the sliding jaw it had 2 half circular segments one side flat, and they could swivel let's say about 90 degrees. pretty handy to hold odd shapes, but not milling quality.. more cheaper drill press type.
    Is that what you mean?

That yellow Morton vise is the one I was thinking of. I have not been able to find any reference to it except in the post above.

There are some old large vises with at least one rotating jaw. I have a good sized Reed that has it, and a peg for the straight position.

Handy.... I really need to make a stand for it, the bench was too small for it, and also put it too high.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

A replacement set of jaws for a normal millimg vise that did that sort of thing could be made pretty easily.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

If you look up the Drummond hand shaper it came with a vice with one swivel jaw.

Here is the one I mentioned above. As you can see, you can make such additional jaw for any similar plain vise.

Danlap Vise

Last edited by MichaelP; 10-11-2019 at 05:58 PM.

The reed vise. The ruler is a foot long.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Another funny one, with compound swiveling segments, from a thread I saw a while ago:

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...shapes-282377/

I think like on the Drummond, the vise for the Rhodes shaper has a swiveling moving jaw.

Default I have a Morton Multivise,

Quote Originally Posted by RBKirkpatrick View Post
    A few years ago I saw a vise in a catalog or ecommerce site with partial semicircular inserts for holding tapered or other irregular work pieces. One jaw had a single sliding semicircular insert and the other had two semicircular inserts, kind of like "[(| B]" . (I'm new to the forum and can't insert a drawing yet.) I recently had a use for one but was unable to recall or locate the original source. If anyone recognizes this, any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    In the20 odd years I have owned it I have only found it useful on a handful of occasions.
    Usually a piece of paper or cardboard, folded appropriately will fasten odd shaped bits into the vices already mounted on my machines.
    If I ever again have a repetition job on odd shaped bits it might become useful, until then it is just another tool which MIGHT be useful.
    Regards David Powell.