Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: O.T. Starting A Truck Wih A Cordless Tool Battery

Quote Originally Posted by danlb View Post
    You can often find a valid reading between the outside terminals. If not, check the voltage from 1 to 2, then 1 to 3, then 1 to 4 and so on till you find a voltage close to what you expect

Dan
    Thanks... JR
    My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Quote Originally Posted by J Tiers View Post
    IF YOU HAVE THE METER WITH YOU, then no issue.
    I had in the past checked the voltage on some of my M18 batteries so I already knew where the + and - slots where on the battery. Well kind of, as that was quite some time ago. LOL
    While getting a handle on the situation and thinking about how much power I had on hand, as I'm always amazed at how much work I can get out of one of these batteries with a brushless tool, I came to the realization that I wasn't quite sure.
    I knew they where on the outside but had forgotten which side was positive or negative. I didn't want to chance frying the battery I had with me as it was only 18 months old at the most and they aren't cheap.

Anyway as I always say, better to be lucky than good.

Popped the battery off of the sawzall and luck was with me, no guess work.

Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
    Bad Decisions Make Good Stories

There's got to be a way u can find out if you did not know,,, besides my obvious way of just taking the tool apart and looking where the leads run to the motor from the trigger switch lol

like for instance --- what would happen if you through dirt in a cup of water and stuck two leads in just at the surface where stuff was floating ? anything?

ok - here is a method iv used --- find a fine stranded copper wire and get just one strand out --- try making the final battery to battery connection with just the one strand - pop! most likely wrong answer so reverse --- oops POP!!! nothing left of the copper strand and seems like somethings in my eye --- go back to choice A as being the correct one...

Instead of the wire, you could use a lamp from the dome light or a marker light. Connect it from the 12V battery (+) to the supposed (+) terminal of the tool battery. If correct, the lamp will light dimly (18V-10V = 8V). Otherwise it will flash brightly with 28V. Of course, modern vehicles probably use LEDs, possibly with built-in regulators, so it won't necessarily work.

Interestingly I thought I can maybe do this with my Milwaukee 12 v , a very small battery that fits in your pocket.
    I had not considered how to find positive and neg, but I better find out. I usually take my Milwaukie 12 v flashlight along on bike trips . would have saved the day coming back from Southern Wa state in Aug with a bad battery.
    Anyone know which is positive on these ?

Quote Originally Posted by 754 View Post
    Interestingly I thought I can maybe do this with my Milwaukee 12 v , a very small battery that fits in your pocket.
    I had not considered how to find positive and neg, but I better find out. I usually take my Milwaukie 12 v flashlight along on bike trips . would have saved the day coming back from Southern Wa state in Aug with a bad battery.
    Anyone know which is positive on these ?
    That's an easy one because they (sort of) label it. C1- (Bottom left side) and C3+ (bottom right side) are negative and positive. The chromed connectors are for charging.

At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Frank I just happen to have a Milwaukee M12 impact sitting in front of me. I wasn't sure which was which either and was going to probe the battery in order to find out.
    Pulled the battery and decided to look up into the tool's handle and the two main large contacts were marked + and -. The - connector lines up with the slot in the battery marked C1- and the positive tab connects with C3+.

There are five tabs on the battery and when looking down from the top, with the M12 logo on the battery facing you, starting at the 11 o'clock position, they are T, C1+, C2+, and these are the big ones, C3+, and C1-.
    You may find the recess where the battery goes in your flashlight is marked too, not sure. Let me know if you need a photo.

I'd be very surprised if the M12 couldn't spin a bike motor over.
    Hey there's always the run and bump start, but I'm sure you've already been there.

Sure glad I brought that sawzall up with us today, was going to bring a chainsaw but figured the sawzall would be easier for what we needed to do.
    Lot's of bears, both black and grizzly, cougars and wolves up there and they're all hungry this time of year. Two weeks ago I went up with buddy to find two yearlings that had been killed by wolves, one carcass had been taken over by a grizzly. His nephew set up a trail cam and got some good footage of the bear chomping down on some of his profits. Ya gotta love ranching.

Dan beat me to it with a good pic!

I just need to be able to kickstart my bike. went from here to south of Seattle. Centralia Tenino, back thru Yakima. hard starting very time.. scary.
    Willy how far off the highway are we talking, sound remote, sort of.,
    is that 12 V Milwaukee, not the perfect size for the bike, I like the flashlight a lot only 12v I have... I got the12 volt charger, one battery, 2 flashlights for 63 bux at Lordco.. great deal.
    Last edited by 754; 10-10-2019 at 12:57 AM.

Yeah the 12 volt M12 would be the perfect answer, nice compact size and lots of power. I can appreciate it would have saved the day, especially considering you already had it with you.

Not very remote at all Frank, probably no more than 5-7 miles at the most south as the crow flies from where I live, up on the Aberdeen Plateau. Thankfully most, but not all, of them critters stay up there. The pic in my sig line is directed down in the valley where I'm at and is about a mile south of my house. Another couple of miles south and up the hill it's a whole other world.
    It gets kind of creepy walking out at night this time of year though as the black bears do wonder through the yard now and then before they head back up to hibernate in the hills.

I've had a few encounters of the wrong kind several times when coming out of the shop at night this time of year. Now whenever I open the door of the shop, this time of year at least, I just make a racket. Either a blast from an air nozzle or a couple of bangs on a piece of sheet metal. No trouble since then and my laundry stays clean.

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    It's pretty impressive that you were able to connect a #10 wire to that.