Thread: Avoiding craters with transformer machine

Question Avoiding craters with transformer machine

Greetings! I'm just getting used to a new-to-me Dialarc 250 HF (price was right -- free!). The current is set in three ranges, and the foot pedal operates within one of those ranges. That means that when you taper the foot pedal down at the end of a weld, it only tapers to the lower end of the range and then quits abruptly, which results in craters. I'm trying to avoid that by "swirling and lifting" the tungsten, which sort of works. Is there another technique I don't know about?

I have not done this, but I recall using a sacrificial "run off" scrap that you can use to end the arc off the piece that you are welding.
    At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Possibly add an extra dab of filler before the swirl and taper off.

Is the argon shutting off too? That's what it sounds like.

Tungsten,
    No, I have argon postflow. Works on its own timer. BTW, I just finished my first TIG job, rebuilding a corroded aluminum water manifold off a vintage auto, and I venture to say I have more right to your "Tungsten dipper" handle than you do. Have to go now -- I have some resharpening to do.
    J

Quote Originally Posted by alsinaj View Post
    Tungsten,
    No, I have argon postflow. Works on its own timer. BTW, I just finished my first TIG job, rebuilding a corroded aluminum water manifold off a vintage auto, and I venture to say I have more right to your "Tungsten dipper" handle than you do. Have to go now -- I have some resharpening to do.
    J
    LOL! That resharpening is called "The Walk of Shame".