Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Machinists glue...

Post Machinists glue...

I was listening to Paul Harvey this morning and he mentioned a new glue that was developed at some university for use in machine shops. He said that it bonds when exposed to UV light and disentigrates when exposed to a different type of light. (It may have been laser but I'm not sure.) It's supposed to have 5500 psi holding power. I'm not sure how much force 5500 psi is
    but If it's strong enough to hold a part to a milling table it could put vice manufacturers out of business. Sounded pretty neat...
    Techno-Anarchist

Zazzit.
    Techno-Anarchist

I heard Paul Harvey say "machinist" and my ear was glued to the radio (no pun intended). I hope this stuff gets to be as cheap as double sided (sticky) tape. Then I'll try it.

Frank

tattoomike68 Guest

It will be great for surface grinding 304 stainless.

Wink

Just remember,Paul Harvey also said JB Weld would make welders obsolete!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by PolskiFran:
    I heard Paul Harvey say "machinist" and my ear was glued to the radio (no pun intended). I hope this stuff gets to be as cheap as double sided (sticky) tape. Then I'll try it.

Frank
    </font>
    I doubt it, I work in the adhesives industry and I can tell you that UV cure stuff is expensive. Some UV cured inks go for over $150 a gallon even in larger quantities. Part of the cost is the expense and safety required when blending monomers and oligomers. These chemicals can be nasty. It is really neat to see them cure instantly when exposed to UV though.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by PolskiFran:

Frank
    </font>
    Last time I tried double sides sticky tape I found that my parts shifted on me... I was CNC cutting some 1/16th brass plates to make guitar parts for a friend. I used a MDF board as backing. The brass vibrated a heck of a lot and eventually everything shifted significantly. This was with %100 surface contact with the tape, IE the whole surface taped up.

I redid the job with superglue, which worked perfectly.

So, any tips for how to better use the tape in the future? Or any other solutions you guys normally use?

The sticky stuff I use is the cloth kind, have to track it down in industrial supply catalogs. I've seen carbon fiber parts break before it will let them go. I've had good luck with the double sided masking tape used for drafting to, but not with the scotch tape kind. What kind of double sided tape are others refering to?

I can think of several high $$$ but fingernail biting jobs that the UV glue would have been ideal for. I do a fair amount of vacuum chucking on thin, odd-shaped pieces for microwave work - this UV glue might be just the ticket for maintaining .0002 flatness across the part.