Thread: Tubing end caps?

Columbus, OH

Post Tubing end caps?

Anybody know of an online source for those cool little plastic, push-in end caps for steel tubing??

These are typically black plastic, about 1/2" thick that are sized for the size and gauge of the tubing. They're also available with threads to screw in an adjustable foot, too.

(I'm specifiically looking for 1" & 2" square, 16 ga. ones)

Thanks in advance,
    Mike P
    Mike P
    1919 13" South Bend Lathe
    1942 Bridgeport M-head Mill

McMaster-Carr carries them. Look on page 3478 and after on their online catalog. Or Google and you'll see lots of listings.

Edison Washington

When I used to make furniture, I used to buy those things by the thousand. They arent actually that expensive that way- sometimes only 50 bucks or so, depending on size.
    Anyway, the two companies I found that have the best selection were:
    Alliance Plastics-
    (I actually used to buy their products from pro-tec, which is a distributor-
    and the other big dog is Cap-Plugs

You would need to find the distributor nearest you, and talk to them. Usually about a 75 dollar minimum order, but you would probably get a lifetime supply for that. Lots of times they will send you free samples, as long as you sound like a real potential customer, and not a flake.

So if you really only need 2 or 3, Mcmaster Carr is a good bet- but if you need 50, its probably cheaper to buy 500. The economies of scale, and all that.....

Deep in the Heart of Texas!

Reid Tool Supply is my "hardware" store of choice. No minimum order and fast delivery.

Kirkland, Washington

Outwater Plastics. You will need to know the gauge of tubing you are using. They are also a lot easier to install when kept in a heated room. Comfortable temp, not hot. I install them with a "dead blow" hammer. The first 10,000 were fun but now I think of it as work.
    They also have a good list of products such as "T-Molding" ect. for building furniture/display shelves.