Thread: OT: Always use the proper tool for the job

Post OT: Always use the proper tool for the job

Ok, so where's the pic of the big crane truck following the first one?
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Origin now settable to bottom left! All values positive. Click Here

I wonder if the guy who was having his car fished out in the first place got stuck with the bill for the second crane . It could be worse, around here if your car goes through the ice you will have it retrieved plus you will get a fine per day for every day its in the water. Yet every singlr year some bozo gets his car wet when he goes ice fishing.
    The optimist says the glass is half full, the pessimist says it's half empty. The paranoid in me says somebody put a hole in it.

Remember pessimists are at heart opptomists. They know things can and will get worse.

tattoomike68 Guest

I took this shot this summer near my house.

you would think they would have to try to do this.

"Give me a lever long enough, and a prop strong enough, and I can singlehandedly move a big ol' Mercedes truck!"

Looks like that first truck had not only a boom on it, but also some type of roll-back or tilt bed as well. Don't know that I've seen many trucks like that. Certainly provides for some flexibility for loading/unloading of cargo I guess.

Wayne

"We don't need no stink'in outriggers."

Dunno why they were trying to get the car out in the first place,looks like it would make good fill
    I just need one more tool,just one!

This fiasco appears to have taken place somewhere in the UK. The first boomtruck was built with a tiltbed, to be used in the conventional manner of scooping a vehicle aboard in the conventional manner.

In the UK, they have some really offbeat systems for vehicle parking. Some offstreet and onstreet parking areas are contracted out to private enforcers who may use several methods of impounding. When it is desired to impound a culprit which is parked parallel to a curb with other vehicles in front of and behind, the tow operator simply goes into a 'vertical envelopment' mode, ie. they simply pull alongside and physically lift the culprit. It is then deposited on the crane trucks' own flatbed and off to the pokey.

Don't ask how I know------------

Guido

Oh they had an out rigger set.. right on the edge on the wall. But if you look at photo 2 -3... compare the strap placement.
    It has slipped about 10". I think when they went to slew/swing it the sudden movement caused the strap to slip shifting the load from a static dead weight to a live load. Newton's Laws those ones just can't be broken. All that could of been avoided with proper rigging of two lift straps. I don't think he'll get a Christmas Bonus this year.

[This message has been edited by Tinkerer (edited 11-20-2004).]
    Wow... where did the time go. I could of swore I was only out there for an hour.