Thread: Starrett #65 center tester

Post Starrett #65 center tester

Also part of an inherited Starrett collection, I've got a like new, Starrett 65 "center tester". I found only one antique site (Rose) referencing it and was surprised to find nothing else online or in Starrett's literature.

When did they stop making these? It looks like the rods were interchangeable and if anyone has more info, I'd appreciate it.

Den

[This message has been edited by nheng (edited 12-16-2004).]

I have a 1967 catalog that lists it and a 1970 that does not.

You are missing the rear half of the indicating needle. The ball on the front is removeable, and is used for large centers or holes.

I made an Aloris type holder to hold one of these and use it frequently for centering in the four jaw chuck.

Starrett tools always had beautiful color case hardening on them.
    Jim H.

JC, You've saved my hide. I didn't realize that the ball was simply pressed on. Would've wondered where it went someday. I think the rear half of the rod ended up in an inside mic box now that you mention it. The case hardening on this is beautiful ... a new shop light helped out there

Den
    if you ever want to "throw it away" I want first dibs...

I have two sets of the metal trammel bars that I love as well (bought tens sets at $5 each and gave them away to friends as gifts) - few people buy them, but they ae real nice to have - I have the balls for mine as well.