Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Uses of magnesium question

Post Uses of magnesium question

I'm dumping a waterheater so I thought I'd pull out the anode. As far as I know the anode is made of magnesium. I suppose I'll know if the shavings burn giving off a bright light. I also know that the powder and fine shavings are used in flashbulbs and other devices like that.

What properties are of interest to a machinist? What is the metal good for other than its chemical properties?

Thanks,

Spence

Light, even lighter than Aluminum

John

Spence I don't know about water heaters, but I worked as a corrosion tech for a while in the oil patch, and we used mostly zinc anodes for liquid contact. The only time we used mag anodes was in earth contact. James

LOL... Funny now but not at the time. I set one of my wood benches on fire power sanding Aluminum/Magnesium alloy. I still have about 30lbs. of it. What the heck is it good for. Corrodes faster than aluminum.

Well as you might expect the rod was heavily pitted and corroded. Still it would make a 4x4" cube. Can I melt it and treat it just as I would aluminum? Is there a hazard of it igniting in the crucible?

As a retired chemist, I strongly suggest that you NOT try to melt it. If it does catch fire, magnesium burns so hot it will strip the necessary oxygen from carbon dioxide ( one form of "fire extinguisher") and under some circumstances even water!! Also it will be so bright that if you look at it, you will not be able to see what you are doing. remember those flash bulbs? Think of a continuous light that bright.

Bob

Magnesium is useful for igniting the Thermite made from the left over scrap aluminum and rust.

Don Clement
    Running Springs, California

We used to use Magnesium safety blocks in presses when work had to be done on the dies while in the press. Any time a set of blocks had to modified some idiot always had to collect the swarf from the saw. Although some of the guys did save it for using as firestarters for hunting trips out west
    The optimist says the glass is half full, the pessimist says it's half empty. The paranoid in me says somebody put a hole in it.

Remember pessimists are at heart opptomists. They know things can and will get worse.

Actually, magnesium doesn't work that well as a fire starter. Burns very hot, but goes out too quickly. Pieces of an old bicycle inner tube work best as fire starter.

Don Clement
    Running Springs, California

Is there anyone else that thinks that melting the magnesium will be hazardous? I was thinking of using the same methods and cast iron crucible as I use on the aluminum.