Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 6X12 Kent Surface grinder question?

Kent surface grinders,I have rebuilt two.
    If it is the same model as the ones I worked on they will have a cable drive on the table and ball bearing ways with replaceable uppers and lowers.
    They are good solid machines,if you can get him to make a pass over a piece of steel and send you a pic of the surface you should be able to tell what shape the spindle bearngs are in.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Weird...how about this? Seems this machine IS 575 volts. The 6X12 Kents in the KBC catalog are 120/220 volt 1ph. Do you think it'd be that tough to swap motors for a 220V 1ph? I just checked on the shipping. I can get it here for $435 Cnd.
    I have tools I don't even know I own...

If you can find a motor sure,I would hate to see what Kent wants for one.
    Better option would be to either have a motor shop change the internal connections or re-whind the one you have maybe even adapt a different motor.
    Changing the motor shouldn't be that bad.The ones I worked on had just a lovejoy type jaw coupling between the motor and spindle.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

6 days round trip What the hell are you driving?
    Jim

[This message has been edited by shaque (edited 01-11-2005).]
    Jim

Jim...I drive a 2 wd 1 ton dually w/454...push it over 55 mph it gets 7 miles to the gallon...spend a lot of time at the pumps . In the summer we are about 17 hrs from Regina in a car....it's winter now and the roads out here have been crap for a month. Got a buggered back so I can't take more than 12 hrs or so of driving a day...figure a day to find the place..try the machine etc. My neighbour is a long haul trucker and he figured it'd take me around 2 1/2 days each way right now.

Not promising anything...but I'm in south central Ontario (Kitchener/Waterloo area) and might know the seller or be able to have a look at it if it's not too far. I have a 6 x12 Boyar Schultz so I'm familiar with surface grinder glitches. No...I'm not trying to scoop your deal...My garage is allready full and the BOYAR works great....

John B.

John B..It's in Peterborough...not sure how far from you. Thanks.
    Russ

hey torker, I live in Bobcaygeon, which is about 35 minutes from Peterborough and will be going there on friday. send me an email and I will look into it for you.
    Regards
    Jim
    Jim

Thanks Jim. I'll try to get ahold of the guy and get his address to see if it's doable for you.
    Russ
    Oh ya...Thanks weird! I'm going to call the local motor shop and see how many thousands of $$$ they'd want to convert that motor

[This message has been edited by torker (edited 01-11-2005).]

Hi Russ as per my email...
    A friend of mine has a step up transformer from 220 volt to 550 volts and also converts to three phase. I will check with him to get more info on it. This might be one way to go. Maybe one of the other electrical gurus can help here Evan, David et al
    Jim

[This message has been edited by shaque (edited 01-15-2005).]
    Jim