Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rusty Touch?

Post Rusty Touch?

My friend helps me in my shop often...and while I truly appreciate his help, he has a tendency to cause things to rust after touching them.

It seems to be more of a problem in the summer than at other times...just wondering if this is common...I touch the same surfaces with no problems.

To try to remedy the situation, he sprays a bit of wd-40 on his hands before touching anything, and wipes down surfaces with it afterward.

Any ideas??

John

make him wear barrier cream

I have a friend like that, he claims his sweat has more acid than others and is nice enough to warn you after handling firearms.

Thrud,

Barrier cream?...can you tell me where to find this, and what brand would be good.

Thank you.

John

Smile

This reminds me of how we once tested for people with "corrosive sweat".

Two decades or so ago I worked in a Printed Circuit shop.

We had a test for "corroders" when interviewing employees for the etching lab.

Applicants would simply wash their hands in soap and water, dry their hands on a towel, and then press their "clean" but very slightly damp plam to a freshly-cleaned and degreased copper sheet.

A "corroder's" paw print would turn dark reddish brown in about 3 minutes. A "non-corroder" might leave a faint reddish image after 15 minutes.

At that time, there was nothing we could for the "corroder", and we certainly couldn't have them handling the raw copper laminates!

It probably wasn't at all scientific, but the different copper-corrosivness of different peoples sweat is pretty amazing.

I would guess that in these PC days, we probably couldn't even DO such a test...
    Pat Mullarky
    NW Computer Engineering

I used to use a barrier cream called "PLY-9" but I was trying to keep the stuff off of me rather than the other way around. It would sweat off after while. I was doing fiberglass layups and it helped to keep the spikes out of my hands. Put gloves on for resin work and it really sweated off.

Old Machinists called this condition "poison hands" and has more to do with ones body metabolisim than weather conditions.

I have exceptionally dry skin, and hardly even leave fingerprints. I never oil my tools or my guns and they don't have any stains or rust.

My son, however, can't hardly walk by my toolbox. He leaves a perfect red rust handprint on just a piece of bright bar stock, so there is no way I will let him use my mikes etc.

He is aware of this condition and changed career tracks because of it- teaches Calculus in the local Comm. Coll.- not much danger of rust there.

Jim

Exclamation

I have a friend who makes computers go crazy every time he gets near one. Something about his "highly charged aura" or something like that. His computer worked fine till he got within about 3 feet of it, then weird things started happening....lockups, reboots, etc. Grounding himself with a wriststrap worked to solve the problem, but he sold off all the equipment anyway. Strange, eh?

John
    There was a thread about this on another board a while ago and more than one fellow claimed that the "rusty touch" was caused by excessive dietary salt...claimed that the problem was solved by cutting down on the salt consumption.
    I don't know if it's true or not so how 'bout putting your friend on a low salt diet for a while & letting us know if it works!

I can tell you about the low salt diet. My friend also has the rusty touch, although I like the term "poison hands" better, and after his heart attack about fifteen years ago he has been on a very low sodium diet and he still has "poison hands". Whenever we go to the range I bring a can of WD-40 and a rag.

------------------
    Paul G.
    Paul G.