Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: project ideas for adult night class

Post project ideas for adult night class

Hello all, I'm scheduled to teach a 30 contact hour night class in machining basics to a group of local community adults. I'm fishing for project ideas that would include turning and milling operations (as well as allied ops like drill presses, sawing machines, etc.)in one single "real" project. "Real" means that we end up with something useful (and hopefully functional) at the end of the course not just a piece of stock that has had these ops done to it. I'll have ten students split round-robin style between 5 engine lathes and 5 vertical mills so they will probably get about 12 or so hours on each machine. I would like to expose them to basic ops on each machine but due to limited time avail. understand we probably won't get to things like taper attch. use or rotary tables ops, etc. I'm sure there are lots of good projects you guys have done and look forward to hearing from you. Thanks ahead of time,

Dave

A gyroscope on a display stand with aluminum flywheel shrunk on a hardened steel shaft with needle point bearings and a decorative C frame.

An aluminum yoyo with decoration.

A sundial.

Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Origin now settable to bottom left! All values positive. Click Here

One thing I recently made for my lathe was a pump center. Essentially it's a spring-loaded long probe that has a 60-degree point on one aend and a socket on the other.

It's used for centering center-punched marks in a 4-jaw chuck - think of it as an alternate to a wiggler.

The process of drilling, reaming, turning and the like are all there, and it's simple to do. I've found it most useful.

A small vise? give them some thread cutting, milling a block square, pocket milling, etc.
    A small bender.
    Clamps.

one intresting project that is simple and can be finished in the time frame you have is a small anvil. use a peter wright or moushole as a sample build it 6"long 2" wide and 3 1/2" tall or scale to the model. not much lathe work though.
    another option is a small cannon.
    of course the ultimate would be a Kentucky Rifle but that would be a tough task for some newbies...jim
    ...jim

A decent weight, nicely finished, correctly proportioned and balanced brass. Maybe a crosshatch or checked face on one end.

tattoomike68 Guest

screw jacks are a good project and come in handy for years afterwards.

the tops can have cross cuts milled in them and face grooves and the rest of the parts have threads, taped hole, counterbores,cross holes, turning, boring, taper turning, tapered bores, knurling.

I made this one 15 years ago.

Evan,

Just curious, do you personally know of a good site for machining a gyroscope?

-SD:

A set of parallel clamps was always on the course schedule for the beginner students in the vo-tech classes. Milling, cutting the radius and tapers on the two body halves. Turning, the screws. Knurling, the screws. Threading,the screws. Tapping, the adjusting and tightening screw holes. Sheet Steel Bending, for the adjusting screw retainer. Hardening (Case Hardening) for the body halves. Surface Grinding, the working area of the clamp body halves.

Hope this helps,
    Frank