Thread: rotory converter

Post rotory converter

I have acquired FOR FREE a working L-Tec 304i tig welder. They thought it was burned out. The dumbies just let the coolent filter clog up and the tourch burned up!!!
    MY PROBLEM IS- it is a 460V 3 ph unit.

How do I make a Rotory Phase Converter to change 220V 1 ph to what I need? I need at least 9.4 KVA.

I have never built one but check out this link: www.qsl.net/k3pgp/Notebook/3phase/3phconv.htm

Greg
    "The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is." Winston Churchill

We used one on the jobsite last year that could be used for single phase 220 as well as 3 phase 480. Can't remember how it got wired, but there was not any indication on the unit itself that it could do oth. Take a closer look, yours might be able to do both also. You could also call a local dealer, they may be able to help you with rewiring it.

Mike,

Check the welder to be sure...hopefully is can also be used 220V 3ph. Then you'll save the cost of a transformer.

Other than that, check the web for 3ph convertor plans. The was a very nice writeup on Metal web News a few years ago.(http://www.mindspring.com/~wgray1/) this may be a very old link to it.

Rob

Mike

The welder may be able to be rewired, other wise a tranformer transplant may be required. Contact the maker and see if they will exchange the "big un" for a single phase xfmr. They might do it or at minimal exchange if the 480V is in working order.

guys,

thanks for all of you info. Luckly I got what I needed from you. It looks like I have to convert to 3 phase first, thanks to John K3PGP. Then I have to transform it up to the voltage I need.

I CAN DO THAT!! Where I work, we have 3 ph motors and all kinds of transformers for sale as surplus.

I will post a notice here when all is working correctly.

Thank you, thank you, thank you,

Mike milbrand