Thread: milling machine book review

Thumbs up milling machine book review

"Practical Treatise on Mill and Milling Machines" by the Brown & sharpe Mfg. Co. Printed 1943 and copyrighted 1939. I think it was on the recomendation of someone when I was looking for alternate uses for a new (old) dividing head I just bought. After about a two week search I found the book on ebay. And what a find it was. The information on using dividing heads is definitive and current for todays use. Sort of like one plus one makes two and there is no way to change it. Well, the work layed out for mills and dividing heads in this book is the same and therfore it applies today. The most amazing thing however is the way the book is layed out. You all know how you find pictures on one page and the text almost three pages or more further on. Not in this case. The photo is on the same page as the text. What a pleasure that is to read and comprehend. If you don't have one in your library, you are missing a very informative book. This is especially true if you are fortunate enough to have one of those "out of date" horizontal mills. Mine is a Cincinnati Milcron with the optional virtical head attatchment.In adition to the mill I have a ten fold lifetime supply of new cutters to go with the horizontal head. Lucky ah! Change "ah" to eh to satisfy shaque.

[This message has been edited by gunsmith (edited 01-30-2005).]

If your going to talk like a canadian, its eh! not ah!
    Jim

Ya...quit it eh!!! Buut..I will forgive you if you give me that book
    Russ
    I have tools I don't even know I own...

You need to check out the TECHNICAL BOOKS at Lindsay Publications Inc. www.lindsaybks.com
    If you e-mail them they will send you a free catalog of all their publications. The specialize in reproducing out of print special publications. Everything from blacksmithing to machinist handbooks. They have any and every subject to do with anything done by hand. Even hand scraping to brickwork, welding to how to convert wood into charcoal.

Over 1/2 the book is on machines and how to operate them or build your own and foundry practices.
    Living By the Square and On the Level

happy now . Thanks Jesse I'll give it a try. Books not for sale, far to valuable. ---------- Maybe ya got some tradin materal ah?? Oops eh.