Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: belt linisher tracking

Post belt linisher tracking

I purchased an import belt sander/linisher to use for wood it has a belt 6inches by 99inches runs good and has an ossilating facility so that the belt moves back and forward/or up and down according to setting.The accompanying booklet is useless as is really a exploded view with poor english translation. The sander can be used horizontaly (or flat) or be lifted so that it can be used vertically upright but not full upright as with some linishers just from 180 t0 90 deg l shaped if you know what I mean in other words the belt cannot be stood on its full length but stood on its width (hope this makes sense) when I have used it the belt in upright slips down with gravitational pull and has torn two belts the suppliers have sent me two replacements but I am reluctant to damage another seems almost though the belts are a little bit two big but on checking they are the ones supplied with the machine.Suppliers say they may have stretched but doesn't seem right any help would be ppreciated Alistair.
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

would like to know what kind of machine, what grit you are using, and what material you wish to grind.

Exclamation

Alistair

We had a 6"x196" belt grinder with a 5 hp motor. We found the only belts that stood up was Norton Norzon (Blue Zirconia) cloth backed belts. When they would not cut in one direction they were flipped and used again. We used these on steel, stainless, and aluminum. On Wood they clog up but a crepe block will quickly clean them out and they cut like new again.

The tracking adjustments are to keep the belt from moving from one side or the other - if the rollers are not parallel then the belt will meander off the wheel and tear it to shreads. Turn the large rubber wheel by hand and adjust the tracking so it stays centered on the big wheel. Once it seems to stay centered when turned by hand them power it up for just a moment to see if it keeps tracking. If not readjust and try again.

The other thing that will force the belt off is excessive force on the belt in either side direction - a 400 lb. gorilla I know has been there done that, ouch. It does take considerable force to do that - the Gorilla was grinding a 2" steel bar into a pencil!

[This message has been edited by Thrud (edited 08-04-2002).]

Crepe block? Wife saw a friends crepe block and what it did. She was impressed.
    came home took a old shower flip flop sole and cleaned her belt sander wwith it. I told her just cause they look the same, don't mean they work the same. I asked her "why do you think friend pays for those blocks". She admitted she did not know- one of the few times I have won one of these discussions.

Her belts last a long time now for some reason.
    Steve
    PS: she says that for intermittent work, release the tension on the belts after each use. Avoid over heating the belt. Hot glue or long tension Glued belts creep according to her. Makes the belts longer and they break too. But what do women know about practical matters and I am an engineering type so I avoid discussions of this sort with her. I disclaim responsibilty for her superstitions.

Talking

Lads the trouble is that the machine came without any decent instructions come with a cloth belt designed for wood which is what I want to use it for about a sixty grit.This machine has an oscilating facility whereby the motor moves in and out causing the belt to rise and fall trouble is the belts just falling down and tearing seems too big for the machine.
    Thrud I have adjusted it till I'm blue in the face still drops got it quite good once still drops but works then I adjusted it agin now its worse don't have a big rubber wheel just a small fiddly set of bolts with a locking bolt don't know if I can dowload a photo so that you guys can see what i'm on about Alistair

Docsteve your wife is correct correct correct the crepe idea is very good I have a large piece of it which I bought for my other sanders works great try it sanding belts discs work and last much longer.once again the girlies have it correct correct correct .then agin this is coming from a man in a bright yellow skirt.whoooops letting out the family secrets dont tell thrud for god sake he won't talk to me again.

Don't these machines have a *slight* crown to the pulleys so that the belt stays on center? I think both my portable and bench belt sanders have just a bit of crown on at least one pulley.

If so, seems like maybe this one does not. The crown should make the belt creep up towards the tight side.

Some I think have ONE crowned pulley and one not. In that case, maybe they put two of the not-crowned pulleys on it????

If so, then it might be a real problem to get it to track OK even in the best position.......

Oso:
    You are right, normally the idler wheel is crowned and is adjustable, the drive wheels are large serrated rubber covered wheels, the serrations are diagonal and cause little vibration. (Usually flat in profile - hence the tracking requirement)

Steve, Alastair

It is a good idea to release tension on the belts - but in a production shop the belts seldom last a few hours anyway - so we never gave a s--t about that! Lee Valley sells the crepe blocks too.

Does the idler wheel have a handle on the shaft of the wheel? On our grinder this was the tracking angle of the wheel - a quater turn one way or the other was full travel - the bolts were to clamp it to prevent movement. Also do not let the tension arm (if it has one) Snap back - that screws everything up. I would set it in the position you prefer (most likely horizontal) and leave it there.

Question

Is it possible to download a photo of the offending object then you can see my problem Alistair

Oso, are you sure about "...creeping toward the tight side..."? I have a Craftsman 6X48" and it certainly creeps toward the slack side. I believe it has a crowned roller, tho not 100% sure.