Acorn VS _______

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acorn VS _______

Anybody using an Acorn controller who has also used some other control software such as Mach, LinuxCNC, or the UC control software?

What do you think? Other than pay to scale are there any major downsides?

(No zealot responses please. If you have not implemented an Acorn controller then you can not honestly answer this question. Thank you.)
    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

I switched my ORAC lathe from Mach3 to an Acorn & I like it very much. It's been rock solid & the support is great. My only problems have been on the software side, de-training myself from Mach and learning the Centroid (and I think the correct) methods. I'll be 72 in 2 days though and learning new software is much harder than it was when I started with Mach almost 20 yrs. ago. I just got my X/Z tool touch-off probe and work offset Z-probe working yesterday & am still reeling from that. Every day brings a little more understanding.

I like it well enough that I purchased a 2nd Acorn a while back for my home built bridge mill project. It's installed in its control cabinet and wired up & working on one axis. So far, so good!
    Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Comment

20 years ago? Did you start with Mach 2?

FYI: I helped a guy get his Taig setup on Mach 3 last year (might have been early this year) who had originally been running Mach 2.
      *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob La Londe View Post
        20 years ago? Did you start with Mach 2?
        Told'ya my memory's not what it once was! I did some checking & it was actually summer of 2010. Seems like 20 yrs though.

Milton

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Comment

I am not a User, but my CNC router came with Mach3 and the natural upgrade was to Mach4 which I find is a big improvement. My controller and motors came from CNC Router Part / AVID. IF I was starting from zero today I would go with the Acorn from all the good things I have heard online.
          Retired - Journeyman Refrigeration Pipefitter - Master Electrician - Fine Line Automation CNC 4x4 Router

Comment

Originally posted by wmgeorge View Post
            I am not a User, but my CNC router came with Mach3 and the natural upgrade was to Mach4 which I find is a big improvement. My controller and motors came from CNC Router Part / AVID. IF I was starting from zero today I would go with the Acorn from all the good things I have heard online.
            Ahren has some nice packages of electronics. I am using one of his NEMA 23 351oz/in kits on my small CNC Router. Lost a driver on the Gecko board (no surprise), but I was able to change the pin programming and keep going with the A driver being used for Z. I seem to recall he is no longer in bed with Gecko. .

Comment

I need to check this forum more often. Nothing to compare it to, seems like a pro level setup. It can be picky though on computer, you need something with really good single threaded performance which does not translate to best cpu. I run it on a cheap Celeron which has decent single thread performance. The touchscreen monitor I picked however is laggy and can't be relied upon, can even result in crashes of the tool.

Comment

Originally posted by RB211 View Post
                I need to check this forum more often. Nothing to compare it to, seems like a pro level setup. It can be picky though on computer, you need something with really good single threaded performance which does not translate to best cpu. I run it on a cheap Celeron which has decent single thread performance. The touchscreen monitor I picked however is laggy and can't be relied upon, can even result in crashes of the tool.
                Since I can't comment on Acorn I just have this to say for comparison. CPU, Memory, and Video make a HUGE difference with Mach 3. I still have two machines running old single processor 32bit OS, and they will definitely bog when doing large complex files compared to the machines running with multi processor 64bit OS. With the older computers one of the best ways to improve performance was to use a plug-in video card to take load off the processor and free up system memory. With faster multi processor machines that have more memory the need to off load video processing is not as critical, but it sill helps.

I get it. Its like the guy who says he can catch just as many fish out of a rowboat as he can out of a glitter barge. He's right if its not a large lake, or he picks the day when the fish are right next to the marina. More power gives more options.

Comment

Originally posted by RB211 View Post
                  The cheap ol' Opti 790 refurb Dell with W10 Pro I bought was so cheap I bought 2 of 'em. I set up the extra one as close to being ready to go as possible. I also got a big Lenovo refurb touch screen but gave it to my wife within days of getting it. To me it's clumsier than the "old" way. (I know it's stupid but to each his own.) I use the Centroid wireless pendant for most work & a wired keyboard & mouse for the rest. I'd feel safer with a wired pendant but the wireless pendant has worked flawlessly for me. It has one one easily bypassed bug which has been fixed in the latest v4.19 beta release. I probably won't install it though & will wait for the "official" v4.20 release.

Oh yeah, Santa is bringing me a little SSD for the Acorn PC.

Milton

Comment

Working...
                  X