Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bob La Londe
    replied
    A long time ago I wrote some macros for using Excel to create incremental G-Code. I think this would be a perfect application for that. You could just put it in your code to step back before retracting. It would allow for a simpler easier to make bit holder. You have a CNC, let it do the work.

Excel did the incremental math bits, and the macros read the values as text and created the g-code. Then I just cut and pasted it to a text editor for any additional code tweaks.

Leave a comment:

• David Lawrence
    replied
    I like the Idea and plan to try it on my 1100 ...certain control would be there such as putting a little taper in the keyway which normally is hard to do. Now the machine reborn as a CNC vertical slotter

Leave a comment:

• Mark Davis
    replied
    Yes, plan calls for 3/16 bit held in an extension made from .625 drill rod. The extension tool holder is 4.88 long, to fit in a socket on the shaper tool, make the 2.5" cut, the receiver sits at a 7.333 angle, plus hold the bit.

The shaper tool has a toggle built in so on the back stroke the point of the bit will not drag.

Leave a comment:

• Bob La Londe
    replied
    Sounds like something you could make, and just use a square tool bit. You probably already have a few of those if you have a lathe.

Leave a comment:

• Mark Davis
    replied
    The tool is designed to press against the spindle bearing housing, when the collet closes. Locking it in place, and putting the cut pressure on the housing instead of the bearings.

The book recommends .007 Doc and .003 traverse, That would be .007 X on the first cut, and .003 Y for successive cuts, the Z cutting stroke will be 2.25. I was considering a CAD drawing with .001 diameter holes, in rows .003 apart. Send it to CAM as a drill operation.

An easy, cheap, safety would be remove the drive belt.

But my reason for asking the question is hoping to get other ideas to consider. Since my budget is spent this month, next month I can order materials to make the tool, (3.5" Steel rounds just does not exist in my scrap pile) and some 4140 to make the receiver. Still have time to plan.
    Last edited by Mark Davis; 01-13-2020, 04:48 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Bob La Londe
    replied
    I imagine the Tormach would handle it just fine if you take a few thousandths per pass. It might be a good idea to setup a spindle brake or spindle lock of some kind. I'd be curious to know what your CAM approach would be.

Leave a comment:

• Mark Davis
    started a topic Tormach 1100 as a shaper?

Tormach 1100 as a shaper?

I just purchased Walter Mueller's book on building on building a single shot, falling block action.

The book recommends using a shaper to make a finish cut for the slot the falling block rides in. Since most of us do not have a shaper, he designed and built a tool holder to fit a mill so it could be used as a shaper.

The only mill I have is the tormach, and the thought of writing a bajillion lines of error free code is daunting. After a couple nights sleep on it, it occurred to that I could use CAM and drilling cycles to avoid errors.

Anybody here ever do such a thing?
Working...
X