Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Emco compact 5 conversion to servos.. Revisit.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emco compact 5 conversion to servos.. Revisit.

I finally got back to the Emco project after a few years. Squirrel! I had thrown it together trying out some pwm drives I had - which seem to work great. When I started pllaying with the spindle I started getting noise. (sporadic estop pulses). (mainly because in my excitement of the servos working well - I didn't pay much attention to grounds..)

So - Taking the time to do it right.. (I want a little lathe to test the polygon turning..)

Currently the servos are tuned with a max following error of .00007", acceleration of 40in/sec^2 and top speed of 150ipm. Very happy with this - and it looks like I could up the acceleration.

old steppers on the right (72 step/rev non-hybrid..)

Click image for larger version  Name:	EmcoCompare.jpg Views:	0 Size:	341.7 KB ID:	1876302

addendum... There was a setting in the ini file that was capping the acceleration at 6in/sec^2.. No wonder why it looked so good. So - upping the acceleration to 50in/s^2 I get a peak following error of .0002" (10 encoder counts - which is exactly what I would expect) Now it feels as expected - accelerating to 150ipm is pretty instant.

sam

Comment

Once I made the switch to servos many years back, I could never bring myself to use steppers again. I am guessing that the following errors you quoted are at rapid speed? That is some real snappy acceleration !

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky_NY View Post
        Once I made the switch to servos many years back, I could never bring myself to use steppers again. I am guessing that the following errors you quoted are at rapid speed? That is some real snappy acceleration !
        Actually most all of the error is during acceleration / deceleration - during the cruise phase - the error comes back down to a few encoder counts.

Comment

an update.

Comment

some machining required...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200531_120134.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	3.10 MB
ID:	1878577

Comment

Getting closer...

Comment

Originally posted by skunkworks View Post
                Getting closer...

Cool, I imagine live tooling and making camshafts

Comment

Nice to see your progress with this.
                  I have long wanted to change over the old steppers for new steppers or servos.
                  I hope you spindle encoder works well for you.

Comment

Working...
                  X