Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bob La Londe
    replied
    I would add that while many people do it, set screw holders really are not recommended for carbide endmills with no weldon flat.

Ages ago when I was using wood routers for spindles I made blind hole 1/4-1/8 adapters with a 3/8 collar with a set screw for 1/8 shank tools using my crappy little 7x10 Harbor Freight mini lathe. They worked. My tool holders had less run out than the wood router usually. LOL.

Leave a comment:

• Bob La Londe
    replied
    If you have a lathe and are half good, or atleast take your time and are careful you can make perfectly acceptable TTS style) tool holders yourself. The Tormach TC tap holders do cost a bit, and they didn't have end mill holders for some of the end mills I wanted to hold or with the reach I needed. The only real key to making decent tool holders is to get the shank spot on and get it concentric with the bore which should be bored then reamed to final size.

At one time some time ago there was an importer selling TTS tool holders on Ebay, but I think they got in trouble. I think TTS is a registered trademark of Tormach. Novakon makes a tool holder similar to the TTS too holder, but I think they call them QTC tool holders.

Considering how affordable the standard TTS tool holders are from Tormach its pretty hard to beat them buy much. I've made end mill holders, extended endmill holders, and TC tap holders, but ER Collet chucks, regular endmill holders, and JT adapters I just buy from Tormach. Of all the quick change toolholders I have seen TTS style holders are among the most affordable.

Something that might be handy is a press fit collar Tormach sells. You can turn any 3/4 shank tool into a TTS tool in half a minute. I've got several in my tool rack done this way as well as my home made TTS style holders. Dovetail, t-slot, mini face mill, etc.

I've also been considering making some stubby endmill holders so I can fully expose the flute on cheap weldon end mills. Mostly I use collet chuck holders for everything important, but I'm not after anything high precision with the cheap mills anyway.

Leave a comment:

• DEVILHUNTER
    replied
    Maybe a bit late but I made my own shrink fit TTS holders some time ago. Used a 3/4 ground chrome rod. Shrink fitted a steel collar with high interference fit (0.05mm), bored in the mill spindle for min TIR (dialed the collet for the best position first). Diameter is 0.01 thiner for small endmills and 0.02 for large ones. Take into account the real diameter of the endmills, a 4mm one measures 3.99, so the bore is 3.98mm.

I use a torch to load and unload the endmills and they work like charm. Only for carbide though, and don't let your spindle heat too much.

Leave a comment:

• Sparky_NY
    replied
    Originally posted by RB211 View Post

Ok, ordered 4 ER20's, hopefully the runout is good.
    Quality of the ones I got was outstanding. Finding good low runout collets may be the trick.

Leave a comment:

• RB211
    replied
    Originally posted by Sparky_NY View Post
    There used to be import clones on ebay. I bought a bunch and they were excellent quality and less than half the price of Tormach holders. Don't know if they are still available but would guess so. They were listed as 3/4 shank ER holders , TTS not mentioned prob due to patents. They are identical.

Found a example https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-4-ER20-1-...UAAOSws-hewTX0
    Ok, ordered 4 ER20's, hopefully the runout is good.

Leave a comment:

• Sparky_NY
    replied
    There used to be import clones on ebay. I bought a bunch and they were excellent quality and less than half the price of Tormach holders. Don't know if they are still available but would guess so. They were listed as 3/4 shank ER holders , TTS not mentioned prob due to patents. They are identical.

Found a example https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-4-ER20-1-...UAAOSws-hewTX0
    Last edited by Sparky_NY; 06-06-2020, 03:18 PM.

Leave a comment:

• RB211
    started a topic Cheaper TTS tool holders?

Cheaper TTS tool holders?

My R8 ATC spindle came in for my Taig, I can now use TTS holders. Ordered a Tormach ER16 holder, but with shipping, pretty expensive for just one tool. Most of my endmills are 1/8th.
    Maybe I'll make my own holders, setscrew style.
Working...
X